Dry Tea Leaves as Deodorizer

I used to have a small bought gel-type deodorizer in my car that was "raspberry tea" scent. When it ran out, I washed out the container and kept it. A few weeks later my daughter commented that the car was stinky. I had been cleaning my cupboards and had found a couple of old cans of loose tea leaves. I had tried making the tea and drinking it but it wasn't very tasty any more. So I dumped the leaves (about 1/4 cup or 100 cc) into the deodorizer container and put it in the car.

The next day, no smell! It has been there for three months and the car still doesn't smell.

I have also used loose green tea leaves and old unused tea bags in our toilet rooms and laundry room. This technique works well in a small space, but not so well in a larger room.

Many spray or gel deodorizers in Japan advertise "fight odor with green tea extract" I figure, why buy the product when I have the real thing? Black tea works too!

By Cantate from Tokyo, Japan

What a great idea!

Please indicate the quantity of leaves you suggest to use in a room.
Thanks.

Here i have half bowl(small bowl) of dried used green tea leaves. This is loose leaves so i can just guess maybe as much as about 6-8 teabags?

It is ok if u start with only few grams. Everytime i drink, i just let the leaves dry on paper ,and just top it on the previous pile in the bowl.

Quantity: about 1/4 cup for a small enclosed room (the largest room I tried this in is about 6'x3') or car.

I used the same amount in one container in a larger room (9' by 6') and it didn't work as well. I think it might work if I used two containers on opposite sides of the room. You may have to experiment for the size of your room, air flow, etc.

In the larger room, I sprinkled tea leaves over the tatami floor and left them for about 8 hours, then vacuumed them up.

Cantate

By Linne Dodds (Guest Post)

Thanks for the great idea. I keep a couple of used tea bags handy, as they are great to press on bumps & bruises & BUG BITES .
Other than that they go in the compost pile.

By Linne Dodds (Guest Post)

Also keep a couple of damp used tea bags to put on bumps, bruises, minor burns, toothaches, bug stings & bites. Toss the old ones the next time you make tea.

I also put a couple of old teabags in my vacuum bag to keep it from smelling.

By Laurel (Guest Post)

Can you use regular old Lipton/orange pekoe tea to deodorize your car? Mine STINKS! :o)

Yup, i also utilized the used green tea leaves. I strain them after drinking them, let dry on any paper, and put it in a small bowl and place it on your nightstand or just anywhere.

My room smells clean without the hazardous effects of artificial air fresheners.