AdviceHome Improvement

Scenting Your Home Naturally

I have recently stopped using all of my favorite scented cleaning products due to all the chemicals and such. I have replaced them with vinegar, baking soda and others. What I miss is the scents. Any ideas on how to scent your home without chemicals, sprays and air fresheners? Thanks to all.

Sue from Troy, MI

I use candles on a candle warmer or put a few drops of essential oil (orange is nice) in a metal light bulb ring. When the light's on, the warmth releases the scent.

Boil a pot of spices on the stove. The scent will spread throughout the house making it smell wonderful.

You could go to a craft store and get some lavender and tie with a raffia ribbon or you could use potpourri or cinnamon sticks.

I soak a few cottonballs in vanilla (real stuff, not extract) and put them in a small bowl above my medicine chest in the bathroom. The scent is soft and lasts for a while.

I saw this on "How Clean is Your House". You take a cotton ball with some essential oil like lavender and rub it on your lightbulbs under lamps etc. and every time you turn on the lamp you smell the aroma.

I put one lemon, wholes cloves, and a cinnamon stick in a pot of water and simmer. You may use electricity but your home will smell great.

Tracy said "real vanilla, not the extract". Do you mean real vanilla essential oil or real vanilla extract or what? Where can I get this?. After I peel apples for a recipe, I boil the peels with a little water and cinn, cloves and nutmeg. I use the spices that are a little old and not the most expensive ones. Also, use lemons more often for recipes and drinks and the cut lemon smell is marvelous for your house. I also love the fabric and room refreshers available. Some store brands work as well as more expensive. Open the windows right before a stoem and let the strong fresh breezes refresh the scent of your home. Keep your bread maker going or baked goods baking-- helps your food bill and the smell of your home.

Eat an orange, and then shave off the zest and boil it on the stove. You might even try adding it to the spray bottle of vinegar you use to clean! That would "infuse" the vinegar with that fresh orange smell.

I use the leftover apple peels, and aaplecore in a pot of water, put a dash of cinnamon and it smells up the whole house. Keep it on low and check it every once in a while to add water, or else you'll burn your pot.

You could try dried eucalyptus in an arrangement of dried flowers from craft store. Or wintergreen oil on cottonball, that will freshen a room.