Kids SpaceDecorating

Decorating a Shared Bedroom

We need ideas on how to decorate a room that is going to be shared by a boy and a girl. Our son is 3 1/2 and is in to sports and our daughter is almost 1 and we're doing a princess theme. Unfortunately we just moved into a house that is smaller than our other house and they are having to share a room. I'm wanting to paint it in a way that matches both of their themes! Any ideas? We are on a budget too!

Tonya from TN

By Sheila (Guest Post)

It works good if you use colorful kid colors (red, blue, yellow) instead of just boy/girl colors.

Make a line down the middle and decorate each half their own way.

By Ellens (Guest Post)

We had a girl and boy share a room in two different homes. In the first home, I painted the room white, made red bandanna curtains, and decorated in a farm animal motif. In the second home, I bought them bunk beds. I painted the room blue, and got them mathcing Blues Clues bedding for their bunks.

My daughter's were pink and had Magenta the dog on them, and my son's were blue with the character Blue the dog.

A relative had a son and daughter share a room, and they had matching Mickey and Minnie Mouse bedding and decorations.

By Tonya (Guest Post)

Thanks - we've thought of both of those ideas - just didn't know if anyone else had anything other than that. I think what we may do is do two different colors but instead of an actual line - kind of mesh the two together - or leave an actual white line in between two colors. I don't know. We shall see how it turns out! Thanks again!

By Tonya (Guest Post)

Oohhh...those are good ideas - thank you!

By edswife (Guest Post)

I just re-painted my kiddos room, boy/girl sharing. It's painted a light green and then I accented with a few girly things that are pink for her and orange and darker green for him.

Works well.

You could try an outdoor theme...grass, trees, flowers, a soccerfield and a castle....

By TheNamesLisa (Guest Post)

Find kid-themed wallpaper remnants, cut out the designs and paste onto the walls - girly stuff on her side and manly stuff on his side.

I agree with catastrofy...outdoors with a soccer field and a castle...children change their minds so often at that age and with this kind-of-neutral-for both it will be easier to add and or change things if you need to. Good luck and enjoy.

By Tonya (Guest Post)

Thanks - that is awesome....we are doing football for him and a princess castle for her - so I could do an outside theme! Awesome - thanks!

By (Guest Post)

I did two twin size beds and did my daughters Dora and my son Diego.

By (Guest Post)

Dora/Diego is a great idea too! We have painted it sky blue and are going to put clouds and she's getting a castle and he's getting football players..just an outside theme!

Thanks for all your ideas!