TipsFrugal Living

Add Sterile Water To Soap

I keep reading about people adding water to their soap to be more frugal, but the problem is that when you add water to a bottle of soap, it breeds Pseudomona bacteria. If you want to keep from breeding germs in your soap, you will need to add sterile water to your soap.

Source: Microbiology Class

By Ashley from Mobile, AL

I think that many tips call for distilled water for exactly this reason. I believe that boiled tap water should work as well.
In my house, I use the dilution tip because we go through soap very quickly, everyday or so I "make" new soap, I don't know if in that time I need to use distilled water, but I have been anyway.

I would have never thought that adding tap water would add bacteria. Thanks. I will change my ways for sure!

What an excellent tip!

Thank you! I glad someone finally said something!

Here's an idea, just use the soap as intended. Soap is super cheap. Save money on things that actually cost money.

The company making the soap probably knows more about what it takes to clean your hands than you do. Just a guess.