AdviceBudget & Finance

Protecting Family Finances After a Divorce

My ex-husband is trying to have a share in all assets that belong to my family including shares that have restrictions (only sell to my brothers and sisters, only for what they are prepared to pay for them). Is there anything I can do to give me reassurance that he cannot dig into my family's finances?

By Rachael from UK

Legally, I don't think he has any right to any of your family's finances, including yours, now that you are divorced. Unless something was mentioned in your divorce settlement, he should mind his own business. Is he mentioned in any wills that your family members have drawn up?

You need to consult an attorney. This is too important to take advice from those of us here on TF. I suspect there aren't many of us who are lawyers.

As you are in the UK, some of the advice you receive here may not be appropriate, as the law is different in different countries. Your first step should be to consult the Citizens Advice Bureau. Remember that your ex may just be trying to frighten you.

My parents had been married for about 40-45 years, they were thinking about a divorce. An attorney told my mother that she was entitled to half of my father's future inheritence. Maybe it was because they had been married for so long or maybe it was because of where they lived, I'm not sure. After a divorce is finalized, your husband cannot attain anything else, unless something was in writing in the divorce decree stating that he was entitled to it, or you hid assets from him and he is willing to return to court to try to get more. Legally, he cannot take anything from your siblings, only you. You'd better consult with an attorney to get this man off your back. Your siblings may have to decide to take action to get his hands out of their pockets too. What a nightmare! My best goes out to your family.

In the U.S. it takes both parties to open a bank account and only one to clean it out, as my ex did to me.