PaintingHome Improvement

Good One Coat Semi Gloss Paint for Trim

I am painting woodwork in our home. It has a satin finish now, a creme color. I'm painting it a semi gloss white. I've put a coat of primer on and yesterday I put the paint on.

I am using Valspar semi gloss paint, because I want to be able to wash fingerprints, etc. off of the doors. It says on the can, "thick, one coat coverage". The problem is that it is not covering. It also seems to dry very quickly, making it tough to get a nice finish with the brush. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a semi gloss paint that worked for them?

I'd really like it to cover in one coat, this painting and painting yet again is getting tedious. I don't mind paying a high price for paint if it will do the job. Please give a recommendation if you have a semi gloss paint that worked well for you.

By Susan from VA

Maxima Semi-Gloss Latex Paint MA-695
(Meets Federal Specification TT-P-1510 A)

A 100% acrylic rheology-modified latex enamel for interior/exterior use; a super durable house and trim paint. Creamy and smooth application, it guarantees one-coat coverage over any color. Excellent color retention; will not peel or blister, even under extreme weather conditions. Mildew and stain resistant; an easy-to-clean, washable/scrubbable enamel. May be used over oil or latex finishes; no residual toxicity. Covers up to 450 square feet per gallon. Available in white, and 3 tint bases. Good luck.

Try adding a little linseed oil to the paint to keep it flowing good. I have a can and when my paint gets to thick I add a little. I remember my grandma using this stuff way back in the day! Below from website:

Which is the 'right' linseed oil for the job, Raw or Boiled?

"Raw" linseed oil is just that... linseed oil mercilessly squeezed from flax seed and packaged with no additional additives or preservatives. Raw linseed oil dries very slowly, taking weeks to fully cure. You should limit its use to the insides of wood gutters, chopping blocks, sawhorses, and other items exposed to the elements where drying time is not a consideration.

Slow drying is a mixed blessing. For oil-based paints, slow drying is a benefit, since this allows the paint to "level" itself, giving a smoother finish with fewer brush marks. The best looking paint jobs are invariably oil paint jobs, without question. However, when used as a wood preservative for items that are handled or walked on, such as tool handles, furniture, or wood decks, long drying times are undesirable.