Uses for Sawdust

Category Other
The sawdust from your home shop need not be thrown into the trash, there are several uses it can be put to around the home and garden. This is a guide about uses for sawdust.

When you need to fill in damaged areas of wood furniture, you can use glue and sawdust as a filler. This is a guide about use sawdust as cheap wood filler.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains the instructions and ingredients for making a great compound to help keep dust down in your garage or workshop when sweeping. This is a guide about DIY sawdust floor sweeping compound.

Slugs can easily eat lots of you plant leaves. There are many types of slug deterrents, sawdust is one all natural option. This is a guide about sawdust to deter slugs.

Adding sawdust to your garden can produce some benefits. This guide is about using sawdust in your garden.

Tips for using sawdust and wood chips. Post your ideas.

Answers

My husband and I have been generating lots of sawdust and wood chips. I gather it all in the vacuum then empty the vacuum into my planters and the garden. Makes really good mulch and looks great.

By Verue

By Michele (Guest Post)

You can use the sawdust to make 'snow'. Mix it with paint and paint it onto ornaments ect. How big are the wood chips? Could you not make them into something? Like maybe decoupage a picture on the smooth part of the wood? Hope this helps.

Hi! Just be careful when using sawdust and/or wood chips for mulch, because as they decompose, they use up nitrogen in the soil, and all plants need that. Be sure to add some nitrogen to the soil to make up for the stuff that has been lost.

By P. (Guest Post)

Be careful when reusing sawdust and woodchips, to make sure that no stuff from pressure treated wood is mixed in with it. This type of wood is treated with an arsenic compound, and one should minimize contact with it.

Don't spread sawdust from pressure treated wood in a vegetable garden, because the plants could adsorb arsenic which has leached into the soil.

use sawdust to stuff decorative pincushions for gifts at holiday time. Pins and needles won't rust.
cj

By Barbie (Guest Post)

you can fill the wells of an egg carton with sawdust and cover with wax, when wax is set you then cut apart each "egg spot" and use them to help start fires......great homemade gift idea for people who have fireplaces......

By Melissa frm NY (Guest Post)

I have a small farm which include chickens. I recently started using cedar chips and found a friend who has a saw mill. he gives me his sawdust and wood chips for my chickens.

You have to be careful when using around baby chicks but once old enough to know the difference between food and the shavings...it makes a great smelling pen, plus keeps them toasty warm in this freezing weather.

for areas that get snow..use untreated wood shavings for traction on sidewalks etc. better for the plants than using salt products.

Sawdust from your latest wood-working project can be mixed into your garden soil and will compost itself.

By Linda

By walliedwood333 (Guest Post)

if you are short on stuffing and plentiful on saw dust you can stuff pillows with it. just make sure the pillow doesn't get wet

By A_Wanderer (Guest Post)

Find a forum for the "Good Eats"show on food network, or for Alton Brown, the host of the show. He did a show on smoking meat using sawdust to generate smoke.

Let people know you've got hardwood sawdust available (not plywood, treated wood, or pine), and you can probably sell it. I bet you could get $0.50 to $1.00 a pound.

By Peter Storey (Guest Post)

What i do with my left over sawdust is to usally mix it with some mud and spread it over my face. It is great for making your skin fell soft. I recomend it to anyone who has dry and sensitive skin.