AdviceHome Improvement

Is formica the same as laminate?

Is formica the same as laminate?

Christine from Boston, MA

By Gladys Baker (Guest Post)

Formica is a company that has been putting out laminate for years. I believe they have registered the trade mark .. etc. To answer your, yes, most people will use the two terms interchangeably.

Christine,

Formica is both a company and brand name for thier laminate products. Many times people will use the term interchangeably when talking about laminate countertops, etc. It is kind of unfortunate for them, as I think they actually produce a number of other products as well. :D

(I don't work for them but, if you want to check out thier product offerings, I'd suggest visiting thier website.)

www.formica.com/

A laminate is a material constructed by uniting two or more layers of material together.

Laminates can mean, and is used to talk about, a whole range of products, formica, plastic, wood, metal, etc.

Formica is a heat resistant, wipe-clean, plastic laminate of paper or fabric with melamine resin.

Formica is to laminate what Kleenex is to tissue. Formica is the most well known of the laminates. There are several brand names, however they all serve the same purpose.

Formica is a registered trade mark and not a generic word for a laminated worktop. They were the company to introduce laminated kitchen worktops. "Formica" is only used by uneducated peasants to refer to a laminated worktop.

If I said that I am a former Area Service Manager for Hoover, then I think that you will know where I am coming from. Do you Hotpoint your laundry?

Now we are getting these uneducateds using "Google" when they mean "Search" on the internet.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceApril 17, 2007
🎃
🌻
🎂