Food SafetyFood Tips

Safety of Canned Salsa

Category Food Safety

We canned salsa yesterday and when the jars were on the cooling racks I noticed some tomato colored juice on the counter. If they all seem to have a tight seal, do you think they are safe? Or are we harboring a potential problem where the canned goods will go bad and someone will get sick when they eat the salsa? I am pretty nervous about that. Thanks.

By Sue C

The same thing has happened to me. According to the Ball Blue Book, if the jars sealed, they should be fine. Check them carefully when you open them to see if they are still sealed. It says that the jars may have been packed too tight, or bubbles in the salsa weren't released, things like that. It seems to be a pretty common thing. I haven't had any problems with jars like this when I opened them.

Did you process them, if not you still can.

Sometimes I have jars that "spew" a bit, too. If it is salsa, and the seal it tight, I let it sit in the kitchen for a few days to make sure it is really sealed.

Then I take it on to the pantry. If it is meat, and there is a chance that fat is between the rim and the lid, I use it fast. I find that greasy spews can cause a lid to pop, vs non greasy.