To Top

Getting Rid of Old Cars

I'm trying to get rid of some cars that are junk cars at my home. Neither of them run but they are good for parts. I live in Fresno, California. Can anyone help?


Yvonne Garcia

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 17, 20030 found this helpful

Check with non-profit organizations like Charity Cars...but I think they might only take runners.

Check with any local junk yards or pull-a-part facilities to see if they will give you any money for your parts-cars.

Try doing an online search for the model you are getting rid off for any forums or websites you might be able to list on.

Also try ebay. But I think they have a $40 chg. I don't remember because we haven't put our scout axles on it yet. Read all of their fine print first to figure out if you need/want a reserve set or not, etc.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 19, 20030 found this helpful

Some local papers have a free ad for items to recycle. You might be able to get rid of them that way. I talked to a local auto shop and they took two cars off my hands. They usually have the equipment to tow them so for them it is much easier to either fix them or sell them for parts.



Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 6, 20030 found this helpful

My husband had several non-running cars in the yard which he was going to work on and going to work on. We finally received a notice from the City that we had to get rid of the cars or be fined so we had to act fast. He went through the phone book and called several Auto Parts shops. Finally, one of them said he would pay $25 per car if it was running. If they weren't running, he would tow them for free but would not pay anything for them. Although we didn't receive any money for the vehicles, it saved us money because the only other shop willing to take them off our hands wanted to charge a $75 per car tow fee. Of course, if you have time, you could place a "For Sale" sign on the cars and see if anyone is willing to pay anything for them. If these suggestions don't help, you may want to talk to someone at your City Hall to see if they have any insight as to how you can dispose of the cars.


Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 9, 20030 found this helpful

We have had a few cars and trucks that were not running, (I saw also an eye sore), We found a charitable company to take then (even if they don't run) VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA 1-800-552-1515 And the bonus is thats a mighty fine tax deduction come tax time! Good luck to you!

- the artsyfartsymom : )

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 19, 20030 found this helpful


I'm not sure if you still have your junk cars or not, however, I just ran across a site which may be able to help you or others with your same problem. It is and they accept "autos, trucks motorcycles, vans, commercial vehicles, jet skis, snowmobiles, motor homes, buses, and even boats. It doesn't even have to run. [Just] remember that you must have clear title in your possession." The benefit for you? You receive a tax deduction based on the "Fair Market" value, which may help you save on the taxes you owe Uncle Sam.


And there are 158 charities from which you can choose, so you should be able to support a cause in which you believe.

http://www.dona  m/donateacar.htm" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.dona  m/donateacar.htm

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 10, 20050 found this helpful


Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By ROB (Guest Post)
January 23, 20050 found this helpful

The company I work for will pick-up cars for NO CHARGE. we will dispose of the fluids and the vehicle. Please call us or refer anyone in northern california to us.


Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By david (Guest Post)
July 11, 20050 found this helpful

looking for old cars for cheap

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Patrick (Guest Post)
May 16, 20080 found this helpful

I pay cash for junk cars and vans in the Houston, Texas area. I am licensed and bonded.


If you call me today I will pick up your junk car today. Some lost titles are ok. Call for a quote 713-592-2576

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By kay winters (Guest Post)
September 16, 20080 found this helpful

in our area ,Jackson,MS , top dollar is being paid for junk cars. usually around #300.00! call your local scrap yard, may be they can connect you to a person to haul the cars and split the profit.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 27, 20090 found this helpful

I would suggest the Salvation Army, Goodwill, charitable places like that.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 27, 20090 found this helpful

The donation of the vehicle MUST be able to be used in some manner. Donations to Good Will and Salvation Army must be able to be used and driven. It must be street legal (no missing essential parts or additional illegal ones.)


Also, in order to donate and be able to take it off as a tax donation, there IS paperwork that must be done. There is the FEDERAL FORM 1098-C that is for motor vehicles, boats and airplanes.
We donated a pickup to the local tech college, we had forms to fill out when donating it, current license tabs (IN MN) are required, as you change the titles over as a donation. The copy value from the Blue Book was used and what value is listed. Transactions complete we were then given a full receipt from the recipient along with the Form 1098-C, signed off from them. This has to be attached to your federal tax return.

THEN a percentage of the Book Value can be used, XX % $$ to a certain point, and then additional in each level as the value went higher. Your tax person will know what to do.

Would suggest you find a recycled steel or car parts and go this route--less hassle.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 1, 20110 found this helpful

I used just before Christmas to get rid of my old accord. Great service, and they will either give you cash, or write off as a donation. good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 8, 20150 found this helpful

The fastest and easiest method that I know of is to call a junk car removal service like, and ask them how much they will pay and when they will come pick up the car. To my knowledge, that is the best way to sell a damaged car, but you can also call your local used parts stores and find out if they buy and haul old cars. ( Most of them do! )

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
June 16, 2003
New Years Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/12/29 15:30:39 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!