Disposing of Old Cars

When automobiles are no longer worth fixing, there are ways to recover some value. This guide is about disposing of old cars.

First, let me say that metal is money. Don't throw it away just because it looks bad. That said here are a couple of options.

1. Haul the car or metal to a metal recycling location. You can probably find one using Yellowpages.com for your area.

2. Look on Craigslist and see if someone has posted an ad to buy metal. You may not get as much if they are hauling.

3. Call the recycling place to see if they pick up or have names of people who do.

4. Post your metal on Craigslist for sale.

5. Check local papers (trade/news).

6. Ask friends if they know anyone who deals with metal.

7. If the car is old enough, someone might buy it to restore. Post it for sale on Craigslist or a "car" site (google the type of car followed by the word CLUB). This applies to old motorcycles too.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

I'm trying to get rid of some cars that are junk cars at my home. Neither of them run but they are good for parts. I live in Fresno, California. Can anyone help?

Yvonne Garcia

Answers

Check with non-profit organizations like Charity Cars...but I think they might only take runners.

Check with any local junk yards or pull-a-part facilities to see if they will give you any money for your parts-cars.

Try doing an online search for the model you are getting rid off for any forums or websites you might be able to list on.

Also try ebay. But I think they have a $40 chg. I don't remember because we haven't put our scout axles on it yet. Read all of their fine print first to figure out if you need/want a reserve set or not, etc.

Some local papers have a free ad for items to recycle. You might be able to get rid of them that way. I talked to a local auto shop and they took two cars off my hands. They usually have the equipment to tow them so for them it is much easier to either fix them or sell them for parts.
Susan

My husband had several non-running cars in the yard which he was going to work on and going to work on. We finally received a notice from the City that we had to get rid of the cars or be fined so we had to act fast. He went through the phone book and called several Auto Parts shops. Finally, one of them said he would pay $25 per car if it was running. If they weren't running, he would tow them for free but would not pay anything for them. Although we didn't receive any money for the vehicles, it saved us money because the only other shop willing to take them off our hands wanted to charge a $75 per car tow fee. Of course, if you have time, you could place a "For Sale" sign on the cars and see if anyone is willing to pay anything for them. If these suggestions don't help, you may want to talk to someone at your City Hall to see if they have any insight as to how you can dispose of the cars.

Good luck!

We have had a few cars and trucks that were not running, (I saw also an eye sore), We found a charitable company to take then (even if they don't run) VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA 1-800-552-1515 And the bonus is thats a mighty fine tax deduction come tax time! Good luck to you!

- the artsyfartsymom : )

Yvonne,

I'm not sure if you still have your junk cars or not, however, I just ran across a site which may be able to help you or others with your same problem. It is DonationLine.com and they accept "autos, trucks motorcycles, vans, commercial vehicles, jet skis, snowmobiles, motor homes, buses, and even boats. It doesn't even have to run. [Just] remember that you must have clear title in your possession." The benefit for you? You receive a tax deduction based on the "Fair Market" value, which may help you save on the taxes you owe Uncle Sam. And there are 158 charities from which you can choose, so you should be able to support a cause in which you believe.

http://www.dona  m/donateacar.htm" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.dona  m/donateacar.htm

I REMOVE JUNK CARS TRUCKS FREE.I LIVE IN THE ATLANTA.GA.AREA .770-797-6043 OR gottagofast@earthlink.net

The company I work for will pick-up cars for NO CHARGE. we will dispose of the fluids and the vehicle. Please call us or refer anyone in northern california to us.

PACIFIC AUTO TRANSPORT
1444 EL PINAL
STOCKTON
CONTACT: ROB OR MIKE JR.
209/649-1346

looking for old cars for cheap

I pay cash for junk cars and vans in the Houston, Texas area. I am licensed and bonded. If you call me today I will pick up your junk car today. Some lost titles are ok. Call for a quote 713-592-2576

in our area ,Jackson,MS , top dollar is being paid for junk cars. usually around #300.00! call your local scrap yard, may be they can connect you to a person to haul the cars and split the profit.

I would suggest the Salvation Army, Goodwill, charitable places like that.

The donation of the vehicle MUST be able to be used in some manner. Donations to Good Will and Salvation Army must be able to be used and driven. It must be street legal (no missing essential parts or additional illegal ones.)
Also, in order to donate and be able to take it off as a tax donation, there IS paperwork that must be done. There is the FEDERAL FORM 1098-C that is for motor vehicles, boats and airplanes.
We donated a pickup to the local tech college, we had forms to fill out when donating it, current license tabs (IN MN) are required, as you change the titles over as a donation. The copy value from the Blue Book was used and what value is listed. Transactions complete we were then given a full receipt from the recipient along with the Form 1098-C, signed off from them. This has to be attached to your federal tax return.

THEN a percentage of the Book Value can be used, XX % $$ to a certain point, and then additional in each level as the value went higher. Your tax person will know what to do.

Would suggest you find a recycled steel or car parts and go this route--less hassle.

I have an old 1990 Toyota Corolla sitting in my yard with a blown engine. I'd really like to just get rid of this thing, not sure anyone will buy it. Does anyone have any recommendation on scrap car removers in WA?

By Nancy from Seattle, WA

Answers

I don't know of any in your area but here you can donate cars to several organizations that refurb them for needy families. Maybe you could check with a local Salvation Army or Veterans organization. Or advertise on craigslist or freecycle, someone may want to put another engine in it.

Old Toyotas are very popular with young guys who like to customize them. In our nearby city we have a club of young men who do this. They are usually more interested in trucks, but there are likely lot of usable parts on that machine. These guys prefer old ones. My son has owned 4 Toyota, all old (two from 85, an 98 & a 93). Google something like "Toyota drivers" to see if you have a similar club, or just advertise it on something like Kijii asking for "best offer". Someone will take this off your hands, it isn't worth a bunch, but it is worth something.

How do I dispose of my old car?

Answers

Many charities now take cars as donations. The cars usually need to be running in order to be accepted as a donation. Look in the classified section of your newspaper for local charities that take cars or do a google search for "Donating Your Car" to find a lot fo different options. http://www.goog  rch?q=donate+car

Another idea is to join http://www.freecycle.org in your area. I've seen cars given away here on our list and they usually go very quickly.
- Susan

If your car is not running and not worth fixing, look up auto recyclers who will haul it to junkyard and either sell parts or sell it for scrap metal. They usually will pay you a litle bit of money for it even if it will just be scrapped.

If you have Volunteers of America in your area, they take them. you can usually find ads for various groups in the news paper, also. not in the classifieds section but scattered throughout the paper.

While I like freecycle, I also like another service at www.abcfree.com. Both services are all about keeping useful goods out of our landfills, so the
earth is the big winner. I like ABCFree because it allows you to make a "wish list" and you just get contacted when something that you are looking for
comes up in your area. Also, ABC gives a portion of its revenue to schools so kids are also big winners.
<a href="http://www.abcfree.com/" rel="nofollow">abcfree</a>
Cheers,
George

We buy old and junk cars 770-985-5176

towjunkcars At hotmail.com

Our rural landscapes have too many junk cars (including my yard). Any one know of any creative free or low cost disposal/recycling for them? It really seems that like batteries and tires there should be a disposal fee associated with all new car purchases.

By Sally

I need to sell my junk car. I have called a couple companies that I found on Craigslist, but they never showed up. Sadly, I wasted my day waiting for them. How can I find the best scrap yard in Atlanta, Georgia?

By EJ James from Atlanta, GA

Our rural landscapes have too many junk cars (including my yard). Any one know of any creative free or low cost

disposal/recycling for them? It really seems that for batteries and tires there should be a disposal fee

associated with all new car purchases.

Sally M.

Answers:

Vocational school

Try contacting the local Vocational school. Sometimes they'll take junk cars to practice with. Also a lot of junk

yards will tow away and even pay you a small ($25 or so) fee for the junk car as they will sell the parts.

Bernadette (12/01/2000)

By admin2

donate them to charity

If they are still running donate them to charity, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. If not check with junk yards or a

school that teaches auto repair, both mechanical and body.

Helpful Reader (12/01/2000)

By admin2

check your local Cancer Society

To get rid of junk cars, check your local Cancer Society. In most areas, they will come and pick up you car, for

free, to auction off and raise money for their cause. You can also use it as a tax deduction. If they don't do it

in your area, check with other organizations. I know there are about 6 in my area that you can donate used (non-

running) cars to.

Carri Ann (12/01/2000)

By admin2

Most local fire and rescue squads...

Most local fire and rescue squads will gladly haul away your old cars to practice rescue techniques on them. They

will even give you a receipt for a tax deductible donation.

Lori (12/01/2000)

By admin2

Girl Scouts

We got rid of an old car by calling up the Girl Scouts and donating it to them. They sent a tow truck and left a

receipt to use for charitable tax deduction. I have no idea what they do with the cars, but they wanted it,

running or not!

Tipsy (12/01/2000)

By admin2

Junk Car Disposal

You can try junk-yard.org. They'll tow your junk car from any area in the

U.S. (08/10/2005)

By Junk Car

Junk Car Disposal

Try JunkMyCar.com. They are one of the top rated junk car removal companies and are with the BBB. (08/20/2007)

By Carl

Junk Car Disposal

If you have a trailer you could haul it yourself to any near by recycling center like iron and paper. They pay

$7.50 per pound. So on a 3,000 pound car you could make $300 extra dollars for spending money. You can also take

any car batteries to your recycling center and they sell for $3.00 each. But if you do not want the extra cash

because you feel it's time and trouble, then advertise on your local radio station that you want it picked up free

of charge. And you will get numerous people wanting to pick it up especially junk yards. Because they will make

money off of it by selling it for parts. Junk yards make good money from that. Put a sign on the car too that says

"Free Take It Away!". It will soon be gone. (10/21/2007)

By theseamstress

Junk Car Disposal

nwautorecyclers.com is who recently took care of a few cars for me. They are fast and free! (12/20/2007)

By guest

Junk Car Disposal

I live in Houston and called these guys. They were very nice. I called on a Monday morning and they picked my old

junk car up on Monday afternoon. They also paid me more then the other local junk buyers were offering. I would

highly suggest using them. If you are in the Houston area:

http://www.houstonjunkcar.com/ (05/16/2008)

By Sherry

Junk Car Disposal

We at WOTMF are a charity that accepts cars, trucks, or boats. By donating you will receive a tax deduction. We

will tow your donation for free. http://wotmf.com (07/09/2009)

By wotmf

Junk Car Disposal

I just got rid of my 1990 Toyota corolla with a blown engine. I didn't feel like selling it, too much of a hassle.

I used http://theclunkerjunker.com.

I was very happy with their service. (07/17/2010)

By NancyB56

Junk Car Disposal

Forgot to mention, they also gave me $200 for it, pretty good for the condition it was in. (07/17/2010)

By NancyB56