AdviceDogs

Keeping Little Black Ants Off Dog

I take my dog to a dog park and she comes back with little black ants on her. She's a Husky/wolf mix. What can I use to get rid of them? Or use in the park to keep them off of her and the other dog's? Because I don't like them in the house. Please help. Thanks.

By Linda from Seattle, WA

Are you sure they are not fleas?

Our dog laid down on a few anthills last summer; we immediately bathed him outside and then rubbed "Absorbine UltraShield EX' on his coat. The product had been recommended to me earlier by a kennel owner for conditioning my dog's coat, and I was so glad to have it already on hand for the ant situation.

I paid about $20 at Tractor Supply Company for this 40-ounce bottle, the only size that was available there. It has a small picture of a horse on the front; the back label says use on horses, dogs, and ponies for repellant and protection from flies, gnats, ticks, and mosquitoes.