GlassCleaning

Removing Cooking Grease Spatters from Window Glass

Does anyone know how to remove deep fryer fat from off a window? I tried Windex, but it just smudges and does not remove it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

By Debbie from Yarram, Victoria

Try making a paste of baking soda and very little water--just enough to make it spreadable. Leave it on the grease spots for a while. Check every so often to see if it is working. If not apply again & wait a little longer. Wipe off with a paper towel. It should turn into a substance with the consistency of chewing gum when it comes off. (I used this idea on a very greasy stove top one time because I didn't want to use a caustic cleaner. It worked very well.)

You'll be surprised but, try fabric softener sheets. wet one and start wiping off. you'll probably need several. It really does works. I use it on my back splash and oven hood.

I've had this problem too. I used a scraper with a razor blade first,then used window cleaner.It makes the job easier.

Sprinkle 'Whiting' on a damp, sudsy sponge and gently wipe over the area. The whiting will stick to any grease or foreign objects.

Whiting Is a very fine, white powder used for polishing glass, as well as any porcelain items such as ovens, sinks, tubs, etc. and is used in Automobile polishes & waxes (the white dust after buffing). Commercial Painters primarily use it for thickening paints. You can purchase Whiting in Paint Stores that generally cater to Paint Contractors; not expensive Usually under $5 for a 1lb container, but that 1lb will last the average homeowner yearsa little goes a longggggg way!!

To clean windows; you can sprinkle onto a damp, sudsy cloth or sponge and the powder will adhere to any debris without harm.

Use a cloth that will not scratch glass!!!!

When washing my car, I dampen the glass and clean the windows and windshield with the whiting to remove the street grime. Then I begin the normal washing technique which removes all the whiting during the processwindows are virtually free of road grime when finished

I have a greasy range hood. I am going to give both those ideas a try to see which one works better. Thanks.

For tough grease removal, while at the paint store ask for TSP (TriSodium Phosphate)...it eats grease. :)) Read the instructions and wear gloves; if you don't your hands will be very, very dry.

I would try a mix of corn starch and water (not hot or it will cook!) spray or wipe on and wipe off with another cloth.

Try plain white vinegar.