StainsCleaning

Dryer Left Dark Spots on Clothes

I have dark spots on my clothes, from my dryer. Any remedies?

By M. McClendon from LA, CA

It depends on what caused them, if you know. Sometimes liquid or sheet fabric softeners cause spotting on clothes. You can try blotting it with vinegar, then rubbing with a bar of Ivory soap, rinsing well, then washing in washer without fabric softener. Be sure to check the clothes before putting them back in the dryer. You can air dry them first, then see if the spots are gone.

Are you in a hard water area? Do you have a well? Iron stains from the water will show up as brown after they have been dried. If that's not the issue, then I'd clean the lint trap if you have been using dryer sheets. I mean wash the thing to see if water is going through. You could also try washing the inside of the dryer in case something has been placed in there by accident, and layered onto the walls of the drum.

Fabric softener is made with animal fat, that's what makes them soft, and if you notice after folding a bunch of laundry your hands are slippery, and you end up dropping items by then end. I know this because my family has owned a dry cleaners and laundromat for about 15 years.

The dark spots are "grease stains" from the fabric softener. use plain old dish washing soap. and a nail brush, scrub the area then wash it however you normally do. The dish soap will cut the grease, and VOILA!!