LandscapingGardening

Retro Landscape Ideas

I am looking for retro 50's or 60's landscape ideas.

Tish from Las Vegas, NV

I don't know what flourishes in your area, but if you go to your library and ask to see any magazines from the stacks that might feature garden images, that's a possibility; also old newspaper 'living' sections ought to be available on microfiche. I had a great time looking at ads in old Look, Life, Sat Eve Post etc. mags at our library.

Think yew, Japanese holly, barberry (if it is not invasive in your area), azaleas, rhododenrons, and hedges. Lots of hard-edged trim jobs--very boxy). At least that is what I think of when I picture the yards of my childhood!

I was born in 1954 and still live in Illinois. I remember Cannas, tall and bright red, also Firecracker plants (hummingbirds loved them). And yes Dad took much pride in trimming and shaping his Yew bushes under the front windows. They had flat tops! Oh and in front of the Firecrackers, Marigolds, always the red and gold ones.

Have you tried doing an internet search? I have good luck with those.

Try to think of plants that were used during that time period. I see you have some good suggestions. My mother had bleeding heart, peony, trumpet vine, rose of Sharon, lily of the valley, and mock orange. My father grew roses. You may want to search under old garden roses to see what you find there. I'd include orange day lilies and dahlias. Good luck

When I think of that time period I remember lots of large ELEPHANT EARs from bulbs, Silver Arborvitae hedges, Zennias, Marigolds, Hibiscus hedges, Crepe Myrtles, and white rock mulch!

Good luck and God bless you. : )