OdorsCleaning

Oil Paint Odour

Is there any way I can remove odours from oil paint? It was bought by mistake and used in the bedroom. The windows have been open for 2 days and still just as strong. Please help!

Thanks,
Leona

I accidentally did that in the bathroom and couldn't sleep next door for a while -- it made me sick. I kept the windows open and fans on for a couple of days and it got better.

By (Guest Post)

This was used in our bedroom just before we moved in! Airing helped, but each time it got warm, the smell was back. After two years(!) it is gone. Good luck. (Oh yes, if you repaint, put a little vanilla extract in each can of paint before applying.)

By Joan in Connecticut (Guest Post)

Place a small bowl of Heinz White Vinegar in the room, making sure it's not where it could be ingested by pets or children. Next time you paint, mix 2 teaspoons McCormick/Schilling Pure Vanilla Extract per gallon into the paint before painting.

Vanilla has many uses other than cooking. I put some on a cotton ball and place in corner of refrigerator to keep any odors at bay.

By Carol (Guest Post)

I'm not sure if this will work or not but I used this to get rid of a musty smell in an old basement. Just fill a cup with some vinegar, let this sit and see if it helps rid the room of the smell. I read this some where and it sure worked for me, hope it will help you.

By (Guest Post)

When I paint I cut an onion in half & put it in a bowl of water in the room I've just painted. Leave it overnight or for 24 hrs. Then throw out the onion & water. I don't know why, but for some reason the onion absorbs the paint smell.

By (Guest Post)

Supposedly, if you add a little vanilla to the paint before you use it, it will not smell afterwards. This tip came from Hint's from Heloise. Never tried it, but people say it works.