Cherry Booze Recipe

Has anyone ever tried or have this recipe "Cherry Booze on a High, Safe Shelf"? I tried it and it didn't turn out like the description in the recipe. I searched and found the person who submitted the recipe, but was unable to contact them. The e-mail address is no longer available.

The sugar is hard like a rock and the cherries have lost their color, but did not dissolve as described.

I would hate to throw it away so I am trying to find a way to fix it if possible. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you. This is the recipe:

Cherry Booze on a High, Safe Shelf

• 1 lb. big perfect Bing cherries
  • 1 lb. sugar
  • 1 fifth gin, vodka, or brandy, 90 proof, if possible

Wash and stem the cherries very gently so as not to bruise them. Dry on a towel. Place them in a clean 2-quart jar. Pour the pound of sugar over the cherries. DO NOT stir or shake. Pour the liquor over the sugar and cherries. DO NOT stir. Cover with a lid.

Put the jar on a high, safe shelf and let it stand three months. Strain into two 1-quart bottles. The cherry meat will be dissolved and the color is "gorgeous" and the taste "divine". Trust me!

Note: Instead of the cherries, you may substitute 1 pound of most any fresh fruit, such as tangerines, oranges, peaches, apricots, plums, etc. Use the fruit unpeeled and follow the above recipe.

By Mike from NE PA / USA

I haven't tried that recipe, but I can honestly say I have never seen any fruit completely dissolve in home brew that we (hubby and I) have made. Granted ours wasn't using vodka or any other hard stuff, but I would think it would act similar. The stuff we have made has set up to 6 months and still had fruit to some degree in the end. So far we have used blueberry, strawberry and oranges in different recipes.

However when I read your post it did remind me of a recipe I remember my mom making a few times when I was a kid. I can't say that I remember eating the brandied fruit, but I do remember her making cake from the fruit. Here is a link to the recipe it reminded me of.

http://allrecip … rter/Detail.aspx

We have made this for years. The fruit does not mush down and can be eaten after the liquor is strained off. It is best left for a number of years as it becomes more mellow with age. Soft fruit like peaches does break down more than cherries, blueberries, etc. We use a gallon jug, fill it 3/4 full of fruit add several cups of sugar and fill jar to the top with a cheap vodka. Then we stir until the sugar dissolves, cap it and place in the back of the closet and forget about it for a few years. After it is strained and decanted into a nice bottle you have a very nice liquor for after dinner!

Anonymous

Hi Mike, I just did some research and zoek is correct that it takes awhile for it to be ready for flavorful consumption but it can be ready as soon as 3 to 6 months. Here is a link with a bit more info:

http://recipes. … sp?recipe=189391

And another link with a variation of the brew:

http://culinary … _VanDenPlas/r,jk

Here's a link, a longer, detailed process with wonderful pictures. Perhaps you can read this and discover what you can do to salvage it.

http://www.home … r-recipe-part-1/

Years ago I knew someone who made something called "Cherry Bounce" that used frozen pie cherries....not Bing cherries. Maybe that's the answer. I don't have the recipe or I'd post it for you. Good luck.

Oops! I guess Deeli and I know the same person who made Cherry Bounce, since we are both from the State of Washington! *LOL*