FishPets

Algae on a Acrylic Fish Tank

Category Fish

We have tried everything we know of to try to get green algae off of our acrylic tank. It looks horrible. If felt doesnt work, what else can we try without killing our fish or scratching our tank?

Terry

Find a norvex dealer and buy a scraper that will not damage the glass not expensive and I used it all last winter. It worked wonderful

Ok... maybe here are some ideas to think about. First off, yes you can get your algae under control and it won't take too much effort or money. There are supplies that won't scratch acrylic tanks.

Here is a website that sells pet supplies. They have excellent articles about common pet problems including algae in fish tanks. Obviously they want to sell products but it will give you ideas on what to look for locally or even to buy on ebay if you want to go that route. The website is www.drsfostersmith.com. Here are the algae control articles on their site: http://tinyurl.com/df6rv

It is important to figure out *why* you have an algae bloom too so you can prevent it in the future so do read the articles above too. It might just be extra sunlight on your tank and all you need to do is close the shade.

Here are some algae cleaning supplies: http://tinyurl.com/ctwyz
Here are some algae control products: http://tinyurl.com/coggo

Hope that helps.
coolchinchilla

go to a pet store & buy a algae eater ! it's a fish that eats algae! had one when i was a kid it eats algae it really helps to keep a tank clean.
jimo

Ask at your pet shop which animals you can add to the tank to eat the algae. There are varieties of animals (such as snails) that will do the job for you. Remember to measure and give details of your tank to them so that they can determine the right number of animals that you need!

I used a nylon dish brush to get rid of the green algae in my acrylic tank, and it worked great without scratching. I suggest you "test" scrub a small out-of-the-way area first.

I have just set up a 10 gallon fish tank,this fish tank first had 2 fish, a black molly, and a yellow guppy. Unfourtunetly the molly died, the guppy is still alive but for some reason there is a ton of algae in the tank, covering the fake plants, decor, gravel. This problem has occured the previous week but the algae is back. The light on the aquarium is turned on at about 8 am and then turned off at 4 pm everyday. I really would like some advice on how i can stop this algae problem. PLEASE get back to me asap

My 10 m3 acrylic tank has spots of hard green algae that have built up over several years. So far I have found then extremely hard to remove. Algae eaters have kept it under control but dont remove it completely. I will keep you updated but I suspect the only way to remove it is by drianing it and getting in there with an electric buff.