AdviceGardening

Soil Seems to Be Falling Out of Potted Plant

Here is a mystery. I put a wire plant stand on my kitchen table and it reaches nearly to the ceiling. It is in front of a window and the plants are thriving.

Twice now I have found potting soil on the table and it seem to be coming from a Jasmine plant on the very top shelf that I am slowly coaxing back to life. With out dumping the thing does anybody have any clues? Plant is now outside.

By Barb from NC Mountains

Mice? No idea.

This happens when the roots are getting bigger and at the root or top of the root is making new plants. It's time to divide up the new plants into a bigger or seperate pots. The same thing is happening where I work. Have fun seperating plants. Windgate.

Being root-bound is probably the case. The plant needs to be split. Also consider that water may be soaking in and then overflowing.

Is it whole potting soil or does it look really fine? If it's fine, yo may have earth worms in the soil. If this is the case, do not try to get rid of them.

They eat old dead plant parts & aerate the soil. This is a good thing. What I've seen with root bound plants, is there doesn't seem to be any soil left, so I don't think this is it.

Another thing that may be going on is that there may be spider eggs in the bottom of the pot and the spiders are starting to hatch. If you still see this in a few days, it won't be spiders. I would agree with c t, that it may be earthworms or red worms.

Here is an update! A critter has been stashing birdseed in the pots! It has started to sprout! Now I have to figure out how to get rid of my guest(s) without killing the dogs and my birds.