WallpaperHome Improvement

Wallpaper Paste Vs. Pre-Pasted Activator

Can I use regular wallpaper paste in place of pre-pasted wallpaper activator? The paper is going in a bathroom. When I put the last paper up I used pre-pasted activator and the paper lasted 9 years without ever lifting at the edges or seams. But I am having a hard time finding it now, although I can get regular wallpaper paste.

Lynn from Albany, NY

By Harry (Guest Post)

My suggestion is to size the walls first then apply the wallpaper with regular wallpaper paste. Sizing material can be had at Sherwin Williams and I would think Home Depot.

By Jan from Bangor ME (Guest Post)

We do wallpapering for a living and ALWAYS use paste! We do water it down some for prepasted paper , roll it on and fold it over for 10 minutes or so, than hang. We never bother with an activator solution. If you are papering over wallpaper, like a border, a special paste must be used called VOV or vinyl over vinyl.

Yes....you can. It will just cost you more. Pre-past activator is about half the price (or less), because it is already thinned down. Full on paste is thicker and is really a double application of paste, in my opinion. Plus,of course, you will pay a lot more. Which is probably why you cannot find much of the activator.

More people are using it since they know about it! Another thing to consider: pre-pasted wallpaper almost always guarantees that you can remove it without steaming or using any thing other than water and a sponge. It you use regular paste, that might not be the case.