HealthDogs

Is Dog's Shedding Caused By Lack Of Vitamins?

Do you think there are any vitamins or oils my Lab may be lacking? She is shedding so bad. Any advice?

Debbie from Jeff City, MO

If you believe the amount of shedding is unusual perhaps you should take her/him to the vet.
Dogs can shed a lot depending on the season of the year and anxiety/excitement can also make them shed. Are you brushing the lab often - that might help - but I would take to vet if overly concerned.

Often dogs will shed more than usual if you are bathing them too much.

I like to give my dog about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil if his coat is dull & often in the winter. He doesn't seem to shed at all.

Also, I use the higher end dog food & he is very healthy. The vet recommended several varieties & said use less then conventional dog food. His coat stays nice & shiny & intact.

My Lab also sheds very badly and I have tried everything and read everything...it really is just a "Lab" thing. Short-haired dogs shed worse than most long-haired dogs. The best thing is brush them as often as possible, every day if you can. There is a shedding brush called the "furminator" that is really good for Labs. About $60 in pet stores, but cheaper on e-bay. I also have done some of the food additive oil supplements, and they help with the luster of the coat (and dogs love the flavor of it) but I haven't found it to help the shedding much. Other advice: buy a Dyson...well worth the money if you have dogs (I have three). Good luck!

Sometimes it is time of the season, I have 4 dogs and can tell you when they shed. Another issue could be the dog is very nervious.

Nerviousnes causes excessive sheding alot. I have a very scared dog...was abused as pup and he is always shedding. Getting better though. Get with your vet and determine the solution.....

By Janet (Guest Post)

Your dog may be allergic to his food. Mine is allergic to grains (wheat and corn). Try a different food.

It's also normal for animals to shed just before Autumn and just before Spring.