Making Money from Used Books

Any ideas how I can make money from my used books? They are in excellent condition, they haven't been opened or read. I've tried all the buy back companies that I am aware of, with no luck. Can anyone suggest any other sites?

By Irene C.

Most second shops or Charity shops buy books.or take it to the Flea market.

My daughter has the hardest time selling her college books back every semester, and I spend over 100 dollars for them too. It's ridiculous at her school. That's what came to mind when I thought of your question, but have you tried eBAY?

Anonymous

Check amazon, ebay, and any similar sites (you can google "sites like ebay" for a list) for the books you want to sell. Write down the highest and lowest prices they are being sold for (noting condition they're in), and sell them accordingly.

To increase potential for a sale, sell them at a lower price than the lowest you found on any of the sites. Pricing them between lowest and highest, according to condition (i.e., poor - new, yours sound "like new"), might also be smart.

I used to sell a lot of books on eBay, but with the present economy, that hasn't worked so well. However, I do notice that eBay has free listing now, though I don't know for how long.

Another option, besides garage sales, is to take your books to a used book store. They will generally give you in cash about 1/4 of their worth. What I do is "trade" the books and I will get at least 1/2 of their worth or more.

The book store will start an account for you and you can use that account to buy more books. I collect older books and a few of the newer authors. This has worked out very well for me. I'm basically trading my books for what I want - which is other books.

I'm lucky in that I live close to a larger town that has many, many used book stores and if one book store doesn't want all my books, I just go to the next one. I've had over $100 in accounts in just two to three book stores. And that amount will stay there until I use it.

I have actually bought nice books for 25 or 50 cents that I already have or have read or that I know the book store will buy. Just to take them to the book store to trade in for books I want. Those 25 or 50 cent books will actually give me $8 to $10 credit.

When you do this a few times, you will learn what the book stores are looking for. For instance, we have one used Christian book store in town so I know that I can't take an R-rated book to that store; however, they accept nice children's books, old classics and children's classics and the more G-rated and PG-rated books. I know books don't have a rating, but hopefully you see what I mean.

Hope this helps and good luck.

If they're old, perhaps you might check your local antiques dealers? If they're rare, check rare-book shops. They should pay more than used book shops.