CatsPets

Problems Weaning a Kitten

My cat gave birth about 6 weeks ago and everybody is well into the weaning process, except for one. She refuses to eat cat food, but does still nurse. I'm feeding with dry Kitten Chow and canned Friskies. I have tried putting some of the wet on her paws and mouth to get her to lick it off, all I got was a dirty kitty look and mini growls for my effort.

She's otherwise healthy although getting smaller and lighter weight than her siblings. She's clear eyed, her membranes are a healthy pink and she is energetic and playful. She does like to lick my hands and arms when I come in sweaty. Would it be safe for her or her siblings if I were to try salting the food? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any advice.

By Flo

I guess I wouldn't worry about her too much at this point. Just make sure solid food, either canned or dry food that has been moistened is available to her at all times. I have bottle raised several kittens and have found out that even though they have teeth and are clearly ready to eat solid food, they still prefer to nurse if they can.At some point the kitten will either decide that the amount of mothers milk is not sufficient, or momma will get tired of nursing her. You could also supply some cows milk in a dish which she could still digest at this point, or even some kitten milk replacer if you want to buy it (It is fairly expensive). Please do not salt the food. The salt would not be good for the kitties and might even make it inedible to all of them.

She just may need a wee bit more time. My cat had 7 kits n everybody weaned but 1. She took a couple more weeks n then she got into the food.
dru