Product FinderConsumer Advice

Buying Replacement Garbage Can Lids

My landlord threw my garbage lids out on garbage day without my permission. The lids were covered with duct tape on them to cover up the holes the squirrels ate. I am on a fixed income. Can I just buy the lids somewhere less expensively? I need a lid because the squirrels and other animals get at the garbage in the garbage bags. Thank you.

By Sarah

To buy a trash can lid I would ask your local hardware or big box store. You could explain your situation. As a stop gap measure you could buy a 2 by 2 square feet of plywood which is sold in big box stores and place it over the top of your trash can. You could place a large flat stone on top of the wood lid to keep the critters out of the trash.

Anonymous

If it were me I would demand the landlord replace them! He/she had no right whatsoever to dispose of a tenants property even if he/she didn't like the duct tape on them! What he/she did is theft which is a crime! Personally, if the landlord won't replace them, I would contact your local tenant's union!

Thanks to you both. It is my word against his. He had the outside house just painted and dosen't want anything to look bad on the outside of the house, it had to be him. He also stole my bungee cord which I had attached to my garbage can. Do you know where I can buy a cheap can. The squirrels eat into the tops. I heard from one person baby powder or cayenne pepper. I am powerless with the landlord and I am afraid he will raise the rent. The rent is pretty good here. I am on a fixed income thank you.

As said, a piece of plywood is great. Here we don't even use the trash lids, so I have spare ones in the garage. Again, each brand has their own fit. Our garbage has to be sorted to compostible, recycle and non compost. Sometimes hard to keep 3 different trash cans with the right garbage. They either won't pick it up if sorted wrong, and you still get billed, or you get the extra $4 fine if they take it and it is sorted wrong.