Cleaning Tar From Your Car

What can I use to remove tar from the outside door panels of my automobile?

By Joan from Russellville, AR

Best Answer

I use kerosene. Put a little on a rag and gently rub the places where there is tar and it will disolve and come off with no harm to the paint.

I used coconut oil. It worked well. Apply it with your fingers. After 30 s wipe it off with a clean cloth. At low temperatures it forms a solid film, but it is easy to remove, as the heat from your fingers makes it melt.

Anonymous

come on.. that will kill the paint on yr car.

People are giving solutions that may or may ot work to one degree or another. But, no one is commenting on ways that are cheap, fast, inexpensive, and WON'T HURT MY PAINT FINISH! I have a brand new Hyundai Elantra, and my dealership is throwing around figures of $500.00 to $1,000.00, and the SDDOT is responsible for this mess! There were NO attendants available for directions or advice, and nothing about consequences if you drove through the fresh paving. 445 Ave. is the ONLY road that I know of into Canistota and my roommates Good Samaritan Nursing Home. There was nothing but a small three word sign that read, :Warning-Fresh Oil, which could mean half a dozen things! What about the tar and oil on the chassis. Of course they claim they are'nt, but I get the distinct impression that my dealership is getting ready to turn me into a cash cow sacrifice to the dollar gods! I am a disabled Vietnam combat veteran, and I am already supporting my roommate in her nursing home, so this is financially painful! Any suggestions on a quick, easy, and inexpensive fix? Thanks!

Don't know of any "home" things other than maybe kerosene. They used to sell a tar remover at local automotive stores like PepBoys, Hi Gear and Advanced Auto. they probably still due and the stuff worked great. At least it did back in '95. It was called Tar and Bug Remover.

WD 40.

Use Goo-gone. You can purchase it at Wal-Mart.

Kerosene on a soft rag. Did the trick so easily.