Training AdviceDogs

My Dog is Afraid of Children

Is there a way to train my shepard/husky/lab mix to not be afraid of children? She is 6 months old and acts like she might bite them. We have a grand baby coming in the spring and would like to know if there is anything we can do! We love this dog but want to know if this is something we can change or is this just the dog?

Doggie Mom from Coastal Maine

I dont blame your dog for being afraid of children. All animals should be afraid of children. In most cases, its the child that doesnt treat the animal with the respect it deserves... Think about training the children, and I think you'll be ok. (smile)

I have the same problem with my lab/shepherd mix. I have 2 grandsons ages 1 and 2 and when they come over, I have to lock my dog in the family room. I just won't take a chance because dogs, even though they are family members, are still animals and will protect themselves when they feel threatened. You probably should talk with your vet and find a good dog trainer to help.

The fact that she is still a puppy makes this a much easier task. If you could enlist the help of some children to come and meet her and be ever so kind and gentle to her that would be a great start. I have two dogs and both of mine love my nieces however I will never let the girls play with the dogs unsupervised. I will never trust a dog completely as they are still animals with teeth that can do serious damage. I consider them to be children that need to be supervised during play. Children also need to be taught to be gentle and respectful of animals. I caught my niece holding a kitten upside down to watch it squirm, she didn't think she was being mean at the time until I explained to her why it wasn't nice for the kitten. Children can also accidently step on a tail or a paw and the dog just snaps out of pain. Gentle introductions on both sides and supervision are your best defense against a mishap.

Whenever my company came their children would always go right for my dog. My dog would try and hide under the kitchen table. They would crawl right after her. Because I was inexperienced I didn't involve myself in this activity in any way. Eventually, the dog took care of the problem by herself. She was a very good dog, gentle in all things, but she bit one of the children. The child was not hurt but was frightened. Apparently, when they got home the parents instructed the children to stay away from the dog or perhaps the kids had enough sense to leave her alone after that. Anyway, that's what happened. Today, more experienced, I would be sure that the kids stayed away from the dog at all times. When the kids are older and can express their love for the animal in more appropriate ways than to chase and mall the dog, then it's ok to put the two together.