Dog Afraid of Laminate Floor

Your dog may show discomfort about walking on, or fear of, smooth flooring such laminate. This is a guide about a dog afraid of laminate floor.

I have a 9 month old Bullmastiff and for the last month or 2 he has been scared to walk on my laminate floor. He is so scared that he won't even come out of his crate in the morning to go outside, he will just hold it. He won't come out to eat; nothing is working. So I have been forcing him out, which I know isn't the right thing to do, but I have to get my son to school and myself to work on time everyday. Please help me. What can I do to make him not scared anymore? It is extremely frustrating.

By Trista T

Answers

Hello, have you thought about moving the crate? If so, you can purchase puppy pads to put in the crate and also outside. You can train her/him to slowly walk on the floor. You can get a piece of this flooring at your local floor store and let her sniff, and put her paws on it to get used to it? I hope you have a large crate, your fur baby is going to be really big. Have fun and good luck.

Perhaps your dog is afraid of falling on your floor. Laminates can be quite slippery for pets. You could try a carpet, or a carpet runner from the kennel to the door until your pup gets used to walking on the floor.

My German Shepherd is exactly the same but it is because he slipped and fell. If your dogs paws were wet or the floor was wet, he may have fallen and now he is afraid. We picked up a couple of very inexpensive, used carpet runners at a thrift store. I placed them from his bed to his food and another one to the door. Works perfectly.

When I got my 5 pound rescue Chihuahua, she was afraid of walking on my linoleum floor. I finally put a leash on her and attached it to me and she had to walk on the floor as I went around and did my chores, etc. She learned how to walk on the floor pretty quickly, since she had no choice. I went slow so that she was able to get her footing and wouldn't slip and fall and such. She was afraid of everything. I think she only knew a cage or something like that.