WallsHome Improvement

Repairing Drywall After Removing Tile

I recently removed ceramic tile from my bathroom walls. The walls underneath are still in pretty good condition (the tile had previously been up for about 20 years or so). There's some Thinset left on the walls, but hardly any wall damage. Is there a way to effectively repair the walls without completely replacing the drywall?

Teepee from Upper Marlboro, MD

When re-doing an old bathroom that had a lot of cracks in the plaster, I bought a small bucket of spackle and troweled it on like old adobe walls....that kind of rough look. It looked awesome! I think it would work for you in this situation too. You spread it on thinly over closely random areas especially covering the remaining thinset. If the thinset is too rough, just roughly sand that area and feather in the spackle over it.

You don't need to replace the walls - they just need to be "re-floated" with a surface agent. It isn't that easy to do a smooth wall if you haven't done it before, but it can be done. The textured wall finishes are very easy to use.

By Teepee (Guest Post)

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that maybe I could sand it down and then put a thin layer of joint compound or spackle on it to smooth it out.

I'm hoping that would work and I can smooth it out enough to just paint it. If not, I'll probably just re-tile it if I have to.