Controling Garter Snakes In Doorway?

I have a problem with garter snakes between my storm door and the door to my house on the lower level. They like to lie there to sun themselves. Also, they have been known to have their young in the crack between the concrete pavement and the cement slab of the basement for the house. It is very annoying. I'd appreciate any input anyone might have as this problem is recurring yearly. Thanks in advance.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Carol from Wyoming, PA

By terryr. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

If you don't have other pets, mothballs or flakes will repel these snakes.

Moth balls don't work. We tried putting them in our flower beds and window wells. The snake literally slithered over them. We took one 200 feet back into the woods and threw it, it came back. I now have a bunch of baby snakes slithering around my yard. We got 5 babies with the lawn mower the other day and I have seen 4 more babies since. We have a cat, we have spread moth balls, we have spread insect repellent, we have cleaned up the yard of all debris, we have left over bark mulch under a tarp, we had a snake living in there. We removed that one, another one came back with a 2 friends. We live in upstate NY, the snakes in my yard seem to keep getting worse every year.

Best Answer

When I lived in Arkansas, we used Sevin Dust. It's a powder you sprinkle around your yard or house to keep the bugs and crawly critters away.

You can buy it at Wal-Mart, any home improvement store, Ace Hardware ect...

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesSeptember 3, 2007
📓
🌻
😎
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf83380897.tip.html