HealthDogs

Dog Had Dislocated Jaw

Category Health

My dog woke up unable to close his mouth or eat on Sunday. The first vet said he had a throat infection. The 2nd vet said his jaw was dislocated and put it back in place. I can now close his mouth but he still does not close it or eat very well. Am I expecting too much after a day?

Jo from Perth, WA

Poor puppy! Even after the joint is relocated, there can be a lot of swelling and residual pain. Did the vet give you any anti-inflamatories? Can he eat soft foods at all? You might try boiled ground hamburger or ground turkey and rice with broth. That's what we used to feed our dog occasionally for a few days when he was ill. I hope he feels better soon.

how did they pop the jaw back in ? I have a pug/chihuahua and a dog bit her by the mouth and popped her lower right side of her jaw out and my vet dont know how to put it back in so she needs to talk to a surgeon to find out but my dog has to wait threw the weekend

I think you need to find a new vet because you haven't had any consistency yet.

Please rush him to the dog emergency room and find out what the heck is going on. Agree, too many inconsistencies. Please keep us posted. Dr. should have given you anti-inflammatory and pain med.

Well I took him back on Wednesday and my vet diagnosed him as having Neurosis of the cranial nerve. He had given me painkillers and anti inflammatory but of course he could not take them. My vet has now injected quortosone into his head and I went back this morning and he did it again. He has some use of his jaw now. Was told it could just go away as quickly as it appeared but might take a month. We have found a food he can inhale (Cut up chook necks) as everything else soft or hard is impossible.

Ask for a second diagnosis from another veterinary surgeon.