HealthDogs

Treating a Dog for Parvo at Home

Category Health

When your dog has parvo and you treat him, is it OK to bring them back into the same home? Do you just bleach everything?

By Stephanie

Your parvo dog is OK to bring back to your home. Your home is infested with parvo germs so there can be NO new other dogs introduced to that home for a year. Yes you should bleach everything you can.

Parvo dogs die easily. Germ is concentrated and spreading in their colon. A product that kills bacterial, viral and fungal concentrations needs given by enema. Half hour later, another enema. Health food store, colloidal silver 10 PPM or a little better is an excellent lifesaver in the enema bag. You stay up all night and besides the enema, you hydrate your dog even if you have to do it with and eyedropper. Few spoonfuls of CS as well. Electrolytes lots. Chicken soup. Gatoraid. Children's pedialyte.

Dogs most often die with dehydration. That's why you are up all night. On top of that if your dog was just vaccinated, that's where he/she got the parvo.

I have 5 dogs, they are 10 months to a few years old. One was exposed to parvo a few days ago and passed. I need to know what to do for my other dogs; two of them are sick right now. They won't eat and hardly move. Is there anything I can do without going to the vet?

By Jessica

Answers

Immediate - vet. They need IV's and special care. If for some reason a vet is not possible i have seen where pups have a decent chance if given an enema with colloidal silver from the health food store or someone who has a CS generator. Another enema in 30 minutes.

The parvo is concentrated and multiplyng in the intestines. You must hydrate and that means small amounts of liquids when you pull an all-nighter. pedialite, gator-aid, chicken broth, water and often as possible. Don't drown them. Droppersful over and over and over and over. Offer bowls of tasty liquids as they get a little stronger but dehydration will kill them very quickly. Google the dangers of parvo to others.

I am sorry your dogs are sick. Many pet owners cannot afford Vet care right now due to the state of the economy, not some inate stupidity. My Vet has a fund for these cases, I contribute every time I am in the office. I wish all vets did this. This site has many posts on treating parvo at home.

Be sure to do a search.

My observation has been that home care pulls many dogs through; but that some dogs even with the best Vet care dont make it. Infection is a good part of it, as is the dehydration. If you call around you may find a Vet willing to help you get the right medications, while you do the care at home. Best of luck to you and your dogs.