Treating Parvo at Home

I have 5 dogs, they are 10 months to a few years old. One was exposed to parvo a few days ago and passed. I need to know what to do for my other dogs; two of them are sick right now. They won't eat and hardly move. Is there anything I can do without going to the vet?

By Jessica

Immediate - vet. They need IV's and special care. If for some reason a vet is not possible i have seen where pups have a decent chance if given an enema with colloidal silver from the health food store or someone who has a CS generator. Another enema in 30 minutes.

The parvo is concentrated and multiplyng in the intestines. You must hydrate and that means small amounts of liquids when you pull an all-nighter. pedialite, gator-aid, chicken broth, water and often as possible. Don't drown them. Droppersful over and over and over and over. Offer bowls of tasty liquids as they get a little stronger but dehydration will kill them very quickly. Google the dangers of parvo to others.

I am sorry your dogs are sick. Many pet owners cannot afford Vet care right now due to the state of the economy, not some inate stupidity. My Vet has a fund for these cases, I contribute every time I am in the office. I wish all vets did this. This site has many posts on treating parvo at home.

Be sure to do a search.

My observation has been that home care pulls many dogs through; but that some dogs even with the best Vet care dont make it. Infection is a good part of it, as is the dehydration. If you call around you may find a Vet willing to help you get the right medications, while you do the care at home. Best of luck to you and your dogs.