Cleaning Candle Wax from Wood Furniture

Category Furniture
Removing wax from tables, shelves, and bookcases can be difficult and costly, but must be done correctly to avoid damaging wood surfaces. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from wood furniture.

This is a guide about using an iron for cleaning up candle wax. Your iron is the perfect tool to use to clean up candle wax drips and spills.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

We had candle wax go through a red tablecloth onto the oak table top. How do we get the red dye out of the table top finish?

Answers

I have a brand new white (wooden) breakfast table and I placed a 6" PURPLE pillar candle in the center of with a flower ring for decoration when we moved into our new house. When I removed the candle to clean the table a few days later, a purple candle color stain was left in the center. It is not wax, just the color. What can get this stain out?

Cynthia

I had the same problem on a pine table and found that the Magic Erasers you can purchase at the store worked for me. good luck!

try putting down a paper towel and then a hand towel. Use your iron over the hand towel. It should remelt the wax and the wax should stick to the paper towel.

Whoever it was that said erasers work for candle stains (Georgia) is wonderful! Thank you! I had some candles on top of a pine coffee table, when they leaked, it went all over my table, I got the wax off, but it left the residue. I used an eraser, and it really works! It took it right off!

Thank you!

I have a problem with a stain on wood from a colored candle. I tried an eraser which didn't work and some fine steel wool that also didn't work. I'll try the magic erasers but what kind of store carries them and what do they look like.

Editor's Note: In the U.S. Magic Erasers are available at most grocery stores, WalMart, or hardware stores. The original ones are by Mr. Clean.

I also had a red candles wax stain in maple wood. The Magic Eraser with orange Goo Gone took it completely out. Just be patient with the Magic Eraser, it take some elbow grease but it will come out. Thanks for the tip!

The magic eraser worked like a charm! Thank you! I had tried rubbing alcohol, Lysol, Dish soap and water and a pencil eraser before!

I have a brand new Oak wooden Tv Cabinet and I placed Brown candle on it. When I removed the candle to clean the table a Orange candle color stain was left in the center. It is not wax, just the color. What can get this stain out? Thanks, Gemma

I have a beautiful wooden-painted-white table from Crate & Barrel my grandmother gave me when I moved into a new apartment. My goofy roommate let her bright red candle burn for hours on top of it while i was out of town, and stained the crap out of the top. I let whitening toothpaste set on the stain overnight, which lifted some of it. had to repeat as well.

I need a way to get the color from a candle off my cherry wood table.

Can anyone tell me the full name or manufactuer of the 'magic eraser' referred to ( re removing red dye stain from wood)? I'm in Australia , not sure if it's the 'Chux' one or 'Mr Clean' product.

Anonymous

I have a white washed table and had a red wax stain and I use "Mr Clean MagicEraser Extra Power. Its like a sponge but you use only with water and ring out. It works and doesn't hurt the wood. You have to keep scrubbing but it will finally come out. You will have to throw away the left over sponge because it does fall apart. This product is a wonderful product and you can use it on anything! I have it around for everything you want to clean. It is a wet erase. Even good on walls to take off spots. Does not take off your paint! We get them at the Grocery store.

Anonymous

It's Mr. Clean. If you are subbing put something over your nose so you don't breath in the powder.

I have red cinnamon scented candle wax on an antique piano, but not on keys. It is just on the wood behind the music holder and in the seams. The wood is cherry I believe. The piano is about 75 to 80 years old.
My husband blew out a tea light under a tart warmer on the piano and didn't confess for 2 days. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

By Lisa from Mt. Vernon

Answers

You can remove melted candle wax from a piece of furniture, or sometimes this will even work for carpet, with a piece of newspaper and an iron. Just place a piece of newspaper (folded) over the melted wax area and place a hot iron, on a low setting, on top of the newspaper for 5 to 10 seconds, lift up iron and paper. The wax should have soaked up into the paper and removed it from the furniture. This might need to be repeated a few times.

By Lori Bartel

My favorite trick for removing wax from furniture or cloth is to take a piece of paper and an old towel and "iron" the wax. Lay the paper directly on the wax (newspaper works well). then cover with an old towel or cloth (preferably cotton or terry). Set your iron to high and iron back and forth over the wax, lifting the towel and paper periodically and using a new place on the paper each time you stop to iron again. repeat until all wax is gone. the wax will soak up into the paper and towel. Voila!

Use your hair dryer on high, then use toothpicks with cotton swabbed on them, thinner than Q-tips.

How do you remove candle wax from wood furniture?

By Carolyn from Memphis, TN

Answers

Place a piece of brown paper bag over the wax & heat with a hair drier. As the heat melts the wax, it will soak into the brown paper bag. Do not use newspaper as it will not soak up the wax.

Scrape it off with a an old credit or gift card.

Anonymous

So amazing. The wax came right off with the old credit card. No other prep. Thank you so much!

How do I remove candle wax from wood furniture?

By Annie from Glencoe

Answers

Carefully scrape the wax off with a credit card as a scraper. You can remove most of the wax. Then warm the wax residue that is left with a hair dryer on a low setting, after covering the wax with a paper towel. The wax will melt and the paper towel will absorb the melted wax.

A glass candle holder broke yesterday and the wax spilled out on to the table. I let it dry for a bit and then I removed the wax carefully with a plastic scrapper. It came off, but there is a shiny stain you can see at an angle. When you touch it it feels as it it had been polished.
How can I remove this stain guys? I don't want to make it worse as it is a brand new table.
Thanks

By Jose

How do I remove red candle wax from wood?

By Sue from La Porte, TX

By Millie

Answers:

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

First use a plastic light-switch plate, and after that, use an old credit card to scrape the rest of the wax off. The credit card and the plastic light-switch plate won't harm or scratch you wood. Just keep them flat and don't use their corners.

If you have extra wax left over after the credit card, simply warm the left-over wax up a tiny bit with your blow-dryer, "just" until the wax melts a bit and while it's melted, wipe the melted wax with a paper towel. Lastly, buff the wood with a soft cloth. (03/17/2010)

By Cyinda

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I know an hot iron with newsprint or tissue works to absorb the wax. This works to remove from cloths this may be the answer. Lay the tissue on the wax, hot iron on top to melt and absorb. Have lots of tissue, so as not to spread it, would be my suggestion. (03/20/2010)

By mx5 girl

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I don't think I would want to use a hot iron on my wood furniture as that may damage it even more than the candle wax problem. Just MHO. (03/21/2010)

By Indianone

I spilled candle wax (a lot) on an attic buffet. How can I get this off? What a mess.

By Ann from Tipp City, OH

Answers:

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Since you say it's a lot of wax I would start with gently scraping with a plastic scraper to get the majority of it off and then there are also lots of good advice beyond doing that in the ThriftyFun archives below. (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I did this last night when a candle burned and over flowed onto my wife's new black end table (man she was pissed at me). Anyway, we gently scraped away the loose wax first. Next she came here for ideas and discussed the ideas with me; however, I had another idea. Knowing a little about waxes and oils and knowing that Vaseline is wax melted in mineral oil, I took out the Squibb Mineral Oil (you can find this in Walmart or CVS).

We put the mineral oil on an old rag and rubbed. A little elbow grease and in 15 minutes no more candle wax on her new black end table. Needless to say, she's still a little made at me, but she said "You saved the day". And the best part about this removal method is no heating, no scraping/scratching, etc. The mineral oil dissolves away the candle wax. Hope this helps someone out. (01/12/2010)

By Danped

What is the best way to remove candle wax from an antique oak dresser?

By Bill from Sarasota, FL

Answers:

I blew out a candle and wax got on my furniture (wood) and my TV speakers. How can I get it out and off the surfaces?

By Marcia from Klamath Falls, OR

Answers:

How can I get candle wax off of wood furniture?

Susan from Danville. KY

Answers:

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Melt it carefully. In the old days, they let the furniture sit outside in the sun. That would probably do the trick.

Diem
(03/12/2007)

By DIEM

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

My stain was a red/purple candle dye on a light oak table and I tried several things that didn't work before this did:
Take clear rubbing alcohol, use it to wet a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser instead of water. Rub the spot thoroughly. It took a few minutes to get up, and at first I didn't think it would work, but I got the entire stain up perfectly. (08/23/2007)

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I have had good luck with this "trick" removing candle wax from carpet and wooden furniture. Take plain brown wrapping paper like the kind used for wrapping packages for shipping. Can be bought at Walmart, mail packaging services, Target, etc.

Place several layers of paper over wax. Take a low iron and slowly iron over the paper where the wax is. You will see that the wax is absorbed into the paper. Keep moving the paper around as it gets saturated with the melted wax, replacing the paper when needed, until the wax is gone from the carpet or wood. It worked for me and I hope you have good luck too.

(09/09/2007)

By metroplex

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I spilled red candle wax all over a wood table. I ironed over a paper towel and it come out. I had to repeat this a few times, but it works. (04/30/2008)

By Elisa

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Using a blow drier with a plastic card worked great for me. (05/26/2008)

By Jeremy

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Since it wasn't wax that needed to come off, but the stain it left behind the suggestion about the Magic Eraser and alcohol worked. Thank you so much. Be ready for the finish to come off as well though. Clear varnish helped us to fix that problem. (12/29/2008)

By Kerri

I accidentally spilled hot wax (from a candle )on my dresser and wall. How can I clean this up and not leave a mess? Thanks.

How can I remove candle wax from a wooden chest?

How do I get candle wax off a glass coffee table?

I had a Pampered Chef party Friday night and candle wax got spilled on my coffee table. How do I get it off? I

You can remove melted candle wax from a piece of furniture, or sometimes this will even work for carpet, with a piece of brown paper bag and an iron.

I blew a red candle out and the wax went on the wood table beneath it.