Head Sweats a Lot

Category Home Remedies
There are a number of different health concerns that can cause a hot head. This guide is about head sweats a lot.

I am embarrassed by this but my "head" sweats a lot, usually when I'm out in public buying groceries just walking in the mall window shopping or cooking dinner. The doctors I've seen say it is menopause. Ha! It is getting worse every year and last year I had a complete hysterectomy. My hair stays soaked and the sweat feel "slimy" with no odor (thank God). Anyone have a remedy? I just don't want to go out anymore,

Thanks,
Karen from West Virginia

Answers

OMG I am so glad I looked this up again. I found some relief. I am a retired beautician and have an idea to help. I used Sea Breeze on customers who suffered from psoriasis, full strength to the effected area. That usually worked well for them, especially until their stress calmed down. Since it is a scalp treatment, I tried it on my sweaty head. I don't carry it around with me, but at home I have a narrow top squeeze bottle that I use close to my scalp. This astringent helps close pores and refreshes the scalp. It does smell medicinal, but that's what it is and that usually fades away.

I am amazed at how many of US there are. I've had this situation forever. Have all the symptoms everyone has described. My Mother & her sisters had it too. I'm 61 went through menopause at 40, had a hysterectomy after 50, am boarder-line diabetic, over weight, have osteoporosis/arthritis, take medications, have crohns disease (an iliostomy) and have been very stressed out. (Recently loosing 4 family members in 3 years, including my husband & son and had to sell my parent's estate). I'm hoping that since these devastations are now over, perhaps my sweat head will subside. I usually tell everyone I am "allergic to humidity" and barely get through summer. I think we should have a support club, "The Sweat Heads". Take care everyone. Sue from Ohio

I am so happy that people are talking about this I thought that I was the only one that had this problem, I don't have to do nothing and my head and neck and face just drip I get so embarrassed it is a all year around problem I can't do my hair or do my make up cause it just sweats off so anytime I am seen it is with my hair up and no make up, I can't wear a heavy coat or hat or sweaters in the winter and sometimes I even have to roll the window down in the car in the winter (my poor family).

I am a little over weight and have a thyroid problem but this started before I became over weight. If I go to the gym I am dripping wet by the time I leave and humiliated. I have been to the doctor the dermatologist the neurologist and they say there is nothing that they can do one of the dermatologist told me that they would have to cut my head off to solve the problem. If anyone has any ideas I am open to anything. I clean peoples houses for a living and let me tell you it is very, very embarrassing by the time I am done cause I am soaked.

I am 47 I have had this problem for about 9 - 10 years now but in that time I have been a bit over weight and I have always enjoyed a drink after work. 4 weeks ago I started a Healthy diet stopped the drinking. There has been a definite improvement My head sweats are still there but there is a 30 to 40% improvement. So I think the answer is change your lifestyle. Cut out booze fatty foods and get more exercise.

My hair sweats all the time winter and summer. I really need some thing. I am going out of my mind. I'm 80 years old.

Rosita

Answers

I think talcom powder would be useful.

I think a mention of the condition to the doctor or health care professional would be the best thing. Talcum powder will provide a temporary relief from the excessive perspiration but it's important to understand why this is happening.

A lot of medications can cause excessive perspiration, for example hypertension drugs especially can cause the kind of symptom you are describing. It may be that you need a a simple dosage adjustment. But it could also be that you are having a reaction that signals something serious.

Caffeine intake can also suddenly cause excessive perspiration and this is not a good sign. Caffeine is present in varying doses in all kinds of foods and medicines, and sometimes excessive perspiration indicates an allergic reaction.

I hope that you can see a qualified health care professional soon, and that you'll update us on how things turn out.

My head sweats, only my head (no odor). I had a hysterectomy 35 years ago, but have been having this problem for 10 years now. It's getting worse. I have taken a number of medications including the "naturals" at Vitamin Cottage. Can anyone suggest something?

By Janis S.

Answers

Anonymous

I am assuming you're going through menopause. Even though you've had a hysterectomy if you still have your ovaries you're going to go through menopause. You don't need to take a bunch of medications for it but rather exercise, eat healthily and if you smoke do your best to stop smoking and if you're overweight do your best to lose weight. It's also possible that all of the remedies you are trying are creating the problem. Have you tried just doing what women did long ago which is let nature take it's course? It also wouldn't hurt to have your doctor rule out any health problems if you haven't already done so.

I take evening primrose oil and black cohash (the main ingredient in those over the counter hot flash remedies.) I would ask the pharmacist to check and make sure they would interfere with any other meds you take.

I am embarrassed by this, but my "head" sweats a lot, usually when I'm out in public buying groceries, just walking in the mall window shopping, or cooking dinner. The doctors I've seen say it is menopause. Ha! It is getting worse every year and last year I had a complete hysterectomy. My hair stays soaked and the sweat feels "slimy" with no odor (thank God). Anyone have a remedy? I just don't want to go out anymore,

Thanks,
Karen from WV

Feedback:

RE: My Head Sweats a Lot

Hi Karen,

It sounds like you have what I have- facial hyperhydrosis a.k.a. 'the sweating disease.' I have the exact same symptoms, and have had, for as long as I can remember, even as far back as elementary school. However, it got much worse, and became a problem when I gained weight and is progressively getting worse.

I first brought it up with my gynecologist during my third pregnancy 15 years ago, I was only 23 years old at that time so menopause wasn't even a consideration. He told me that is was pregnancy related. But I was having the same symptoms when I wasn't pregnant. Later, I went to a family doctor who told me that some people just sweat more than others because they have bigger pores (or something to that affect, bla bla bla). I began to feel like the doctors were dismissing this. I had become very frustrated and had expressed my feelings to the next doctor I saw. He told me that it wasn't that they were dismissing it, but frankly just didn't know what to do about it (there's nothing available that can be put on the face or scalp that would help).

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The doctors then began to tell me that this is why I sweat so much on my face. That didn't make sense as I had had many diabetes tests previously which had shown my blood-sugar in the low-normal range. So, this problem existed way before I developed diabetes. I also have a 12 year-old son who is showing symptoms as well.

I remembered seeing a documentary where a lady had a rare condition called "hyperhydrosis" which caused the palms of her hands to sweat profusely and she had surgery that corrected the problem. So a couple of years ago I looked it up on the i-net. Sure enough, there is actually a name for this horrible thing. The only permanent treatment back then was spinal surgery in which they cut the nerves of the spinal cord that lead to the problem area. This wasn't an option for me though. I printed-up some of the information and took it to my current physician, and she's looking in to it. I just checked again, and there seems to be much more information about this than there was a couple of years ago. So, just type 'hyperhydrosis' into your search engine to find more info. That may help.

The symptoms are relieved when I'm sitting down. So, sometimes, when I'm grocery shopping, I take advantage of the motorized carts that are provided. When I'm cooking dinner I sit down as much as possible. Based on what I've read recently, and my mother's advice, I'm going to go see a endocrinologist. Stress could be another factor. Anyway, let me know how it goes with you. And I'll keep you posted. (07/10/2006)

By T Babe

RE: My Head Sweats a Lot

First off, if possible, I would go to a dermatologist. I think they would be more knowledgeable about your condition. Second, I read and heard about people with severely sweaty palms and feet receiving botox shots in the sweaty area. I wonder if shots in your forehead or scalp would help? Check to see if insurance will cover it also. You may need pre-approval, but if it works it would be worth it. (07/13/2006)

By Cheryl from MO

RE: My Head Sweats a Lot

You guys might try taking zinc supplements. You'll need to take them for at least a month to see if they will work. Zinc is wonderful for perspiration, especially if your sweat smells. Or maybe try using a product on your scalp called "Scalpicin" after you shampoo. (Not the one with cortisone, but the one with salicylic acid.) (09/28/2007)

By Cyinda

RE: My Head Sweats a Lot

It could be your thyroid or diabetes, go get checked out. I used to be this way and it proved to be both in my case. (01/27/2008)

By badwater

RE: My Head Sweats a Lot

Hyperhidrosis isn't rare and I certainly know what it's like too. However, I sweat excessively everywhere. I hate it. There is a medicine at pharmacy.ca called Avert that really helps. It will also dry out your mouth and eyes. The other name for it is glycopirolate. (10/26/2008)

By MaryLou

RE: My Head Sweats a Lot

I registered so that I could pass along to you what worked for me. Check each and every medication you take for side effects. I was on Atacand (candasarten) for hypertension, and Nexium for severe GERD and Barrett's esophagus. Both have the side effect of hyperhydrosis! The minute I stopped taking Nexium the head sweating decreased to less than half what it was. When I stopped Atacand too, the excessive head sweating stopped altogether!

Here is a list of meds that have hyperhidrosis as a side effect: (hope I can post a link) http://www.ihhs.net/pdf/Drugs_2009.pdf

You'll be amazed how many there are! These side effects are not gender specific, it has something to do with how certain drugs affect our sympathetic nervous systems. My hair used to get so wet, my shirts got drenched around the neck and down the back. (Doing nothing more than choosing eyeglass frames, is one time that is etched in my memory. You'd have thought I'd been working out for hours. Talk about humiliating).

Hope that helps you. I went for months being told it was "just" menopause and I should learn to live with it, and to quit complaining! Needless to say I found a new doctor. Check your meds. They have way more side effects than the docs ever tell you about. (07/05/2010)

By alchemyst