Remedies for "Dud" Recipe

When you encounter a "dud" recipe that is not to your families' liking, always try to look for ways to use those ingredients in another manner - your grocery budget will thank you! "Deconstructing" the finished product is always preferable to just pitching the offending food.

Recently, I tried a new recipe that had chicken breasts, spinach and nutmeg. My husband didn't care for it at all, but I always listen to his comments about why he didn't like the food. He felt the chicken was too bland so I took out the remaining cooked chicken and will use it in chicken salad or a chicken casserole. His primary dislike centered upon the spinach that had quite a bit of nutmeg in it.

I incorporated half the remaining spinach (finely chopped) into a subsequent chicken and mushroom pilaf. He never tasted the offending spinach and yet it made the rice dish much more colorful and appealing. The remaining spinach was frozen to use in the next large batch of minestrone soup I make. And yes, the recipe ended up in the wastebasket, but none of the food went to waste.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

You are my kind of cook. I never let anything go to waste if I can help it either. Often the second dish was way better than the original. Love your hints--please keep them coming.

If the recipe is in a cookbook, write a note in the book so you won't try in by mistake. All mom's cookbooks have notes on how well the recipe worked. Notes about what she would do different next time.