Saving MoneyBudget & Finance

Saving Money on Dentistry

Category Saving Money

Brush your teeth and floss after every meal and have a professional cleaning every 6 months! Saves in the long run from having cavities filled, teeth pulled, gum scrapings, etc.

By Holly D.

I totally agree. This is true.

If you have a dental plan at work that you regularly have to pay into then going to the dentist every 6 months is something you should do. What you would pay for a checkup and cleaning privately is about the same amount that you have already "saved up" in your dental plan through your paychecks at work.

But if you do NOT have a dental plan and your checkup and cleaning bill will come out of your own pocket here are some things to think about...

Kids that are just getting their permanent teeth and have not yet mastered the brushing and flossing techniques should go regularly to the dentist...at least once a year. Cavities will probably develop in the teeth that have deep pits in them.

Once kids are late teens most of the cavities in the teeth that are going to develop have already done so. I check my kids teeth for any obvious problems once in a while and ask them if they have any concerns. We have no insurance for dental because we have our own business and private insurance for dental plans here in Canada is not worth it.

A cleaning at the dentist ..
the cleaning itself when they use the little brush that spins round and round just gets the plaque off the teeth (just like a really good brushing will)

The floride that they want to put in a foam tray that will sit in your mouth for a few seconds..
is not especially necessary since the majority of people live in cities where there already is floride added to the water you get out of your taps and the little bit of floride in your toothpaste each time you brush your teeth is also a little bit of a benefit too

The hygenist will floss your teeth
you can do that at home also ...know the techniques in how to properly floss your teeth so you will do a good job all the time, at home.

Once every few years I will go and have x-rays done (in case of a cavity starting somewhere) and a check up by the dentist. I then will ask the dentist to remove only the hardened plaque (calculus) that has slowly been building up behind my lower front teeth but I will not get a cleaning done by the hygenist. I will have to pay for a 15 minute "calculus removal fee" or scraping by the dentist or hygentist, since that is the minumum amount of time the fee system can allot, but... not the 45 minute full hygenist fee that would be charged to me if I did get a full cleaning.

By the way, I used to be a dental assistant and have learned a lot over the years. Some of you won't agree with me, I know. But these are some things to think about anyways.

As an adult...an important thing to keep in mind since we are less prone to cavities now...Keep your gums healthy ---by properly brushing and flossing and eating crunchy foods regularly like apples and raw vegetables.

It's not true for some people who have to take specific medicines where gum inflammation is a common side effect. Losing teeth is not uncommon, and dental care just keeps it down to a dull roar.