RepairingClothing

Removing Waterproofing from Nylon Fabric

I have waterproofed an orange 100% nylon Puffa jacket for my son, but he doesn't want to wear it all (too bright). So I have decided to dye it black. I have just found out that nylon can be dyed with acid dye, but I also read that the waterproofing can stop the dye from working.

How can I take out the waterproofing? I waterproofed the jacket with Niknak wash-in technical wash and waterproofing. Please help me. Thanks a lot.

By sylvia

Use hot water and your regular laundry soap, then add about 1/4 to 1/3 box of baking soda in with the soap. I would wash it twice.

OR: In place of Baking Soda, you could add Calgon water softener to your HOT wash load in the FIRST load then wash with just hot water and a little soap in the second load to remove the Calgon.

* Both Calgon and Baking soda work by giving an extra kick to your laundry soap. This can be especially helpful if you live where there is hard water. Be sure they are totally rinsed out before dying.

This MAY work, but, your best bet would be to call or e-mail the people who make the waterproofing you used and ask them. Look on the back of the packaging or google them to get their phone number or e-mail address.

Instead of going through hoops and a lot of work, expense and possibly ruining the garment in the end, just buy the kid another jacket.