AdviceGardening

Brown Boronia Information

Q: Can any one tell me about "Brown Boronia"? And where to get them? My zone is 9-10 in Southern, CA. I'm told that they will grow here.

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

A: Granny Vi,

I'm not sure where you can find seeds, but here are two California nurseries that specialize in native Australian plants. The first is Australian Native Plants Nursery in Ventura California (www.australianplants.com). They list Boronia megastigma 'Lutea' available in 1 gallon pots for $12.00 (plus shipping and handling). A second resource is California Gardens.com (www.californiagardens.com ) Follow the catalog link to their Australian Catalog. They list Boronia megastigma available in 1 gallon pots. Windmill Outback Nursery, in Louisa, VA, also specializes in plants and seeds native to Australia. Contact them at www.australiaplants.com

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Request:

Does anyone know where I can get Brown Boronia (B.megastigma) Seeds or plants? It is listed in the Western Sunset Garden Book. Thanks for any information.

Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Answers:

RE: Locating Brown Boronia (B.megastigma) Seeds or Plants

When I googled it [I ALWAYS start my search that way], I learned it is native to Australia. That could make it harder to find in the US.

Another entry revealed that wild harvesting in Washington state is endangering it there.

Evidently, it is avaible in some nuseries in WA. I have NO idea where else one may find it, but ask your local nursery, they should know from where one could order it.

Post by aardvark