SoupsRecipes

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Category Soups

Has anyone ever heard of Chicken Pot Pie Soup before? I had it at a hall before, if anyone has the recipe please send.

Thanks in advance.
Liz from Westland, MI

Go to the web site, www.foodieview.com and type in Chicken Pot Pie Soup and it will show a number of recipes. This is my favorite web site when searching for specific recipes.

I grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country, and we just called it "chicken pot pie." Unfortunately, my grandma who used to make this all the time passed away, and didn't have a recipe for it anyway so I don't have one. But I did find one for you on the net that sounds like hers. The only difference I can see is that my grandma just used potatoes and no other veggies. Hope this is what you're looking for.

Chicken Pot Pie

It seems every dutch cook has his or her own way of making Chicken Pot Pie. Make it a few times, making adjustments of your own to your taste.

Pot Pie Dough:

3 c. flour

2 eggs

1 Tbsp. shortening

1/2 - 3/4 c. water

Chicken Broth:

3 lb. whole chicken

2 quarts of water

4-6 medium potatoes

2 c. diced celery

1 c. diced carrots

1 small diced onion

parsley to taste

salt & pepper to taste

To prepare pot pie dough: combine flour, eggs, and shortening. Knead it with your hands adding water small amounts at a time until the dough holds together. Roll out into a thin sheet on a floured board. Cut into 2 inch squares, and let dry about an hour.

Meanwhile, cook chicken in 2 quarts of water until tender. Cool and debone and set aside.

Add all remaining chicken mixture ingredients to boiling broth and cook about 10 minutes. Drop pot pie squares into boiling broth a few at a time, turn heat down to medium, stir frequently. Add chicken to broth, heat through.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup - Made from scratch

Ingredients

2 cups cooked chicken, cubed (I LOVE this pre-cooked chicken)

Small onion, chopped

1 cup carrots, chopped

2 cups potatoes, cubed

1 can green peas, drained

1 can corn, drained

6 tbsp. Butter or margarine

1/2 to 1 cup flour (see note below)

2 tbsp. Chicken bouillon, ground up

2 cups chicken broth

4 cups of milk

1/2 tsp. Pepper

1/4 tsp. Garlic salt

Puff pastry dough ( I use Pillsbury crescent Recipe Creations)

The Process

1. Put potatoes in a pot with 1 cup of chicken broth and enough water to cover them. At the same time, put your carrots in a pot with enough water to cover them. Cover and cook both vegetables until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, saute onions in a few teaspoons of oil until soft and translucent, about 5-8 minutes.

3. In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add in bouillon, pepper, garlic, broth and flour (see note below). Stir until smooth.

4. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until it boils, simmer for a minute, stirring constantly.

Note: I like this soup to be thick, more like actual chicken pot pie. You may want it to be soupier, though. My recommendation is to start with 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of broth and bring to boil with milk (don't skimp on the milk) like instructed. If you think it's too soupy add more flour about 1/4 cup at a time until it thickens. If you add more flour, add another tablespoon of the ground up bouillon, too, or else it'll taste too flour-y. If it's too thick for your liking, add in chicken broth, about 1/4 cup at a time until it gets to the right consistency.

5. Add chicken and then each vegetable one at time and stir carefully between each addition.

6. Roll out your pastry dough about 1/4 inch thick and cut into 3×3 inch squares. Bake in 375 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, until puffy and slightly browned on top. Serve on top of soup. 4 servings

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Ingredients

2 cups cooked chicken, cubed

2 cans condensed cream of potato

1 can condensed cream of chicken

1 can corn, drained

1 can peas, drained

1 can carrots, drained

2 cups of milk

1/2 tsp. Pepper

Puff pastry dough (optional if you are trying to keep it low fat)

The Process

1. In large pot, combine all ingredients and heat through, about 10 minutes.

2. Roll out your pastry dough about 1/4 inch thick and cut into 3×3 inch squares. Bake in 375 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, until puffy and slightly browned on top. Serve on top of soup. 4 servings

Article printed from Back to the Cutting Board: http://backtothecuttingboard.com