Recycled CraftsCrafts

Memory Rag Rug Instructions

I am looking for easy directions on how to make a memory rag rug using my husbands jeans, shirts etc. that requires no sewing or crocheting. I have one that i bought in a store but I am not sure how to get started. I would appreciate the easiest directions.

Esther from New Jersey

Hi Esther, I can't help you but I'm looking too as I have ties from my dad that I want to do the same thing with. I'll be sure to come back, hoping you get some help!
Happy New Year from Nova Scotia!

I'm not wure if this is what you mean but what about a braided rag rug. the only sewing would be a few stiches every so often to tack it. You make strips of the fabric or use the ties and braid them. Then you lay it on a flat surface and start winding it into a circle. Every few inches or so tack using heavy thread or embroidery thread and tack one row to another. at the end take the end to row in before it. You can connect one strip to another with a few stiches and continue until it is as big as you want it. You could also form it into a square or retangle. hope this helps.

Years ago, I think I saw a no-sew rag rug in the Mother Earth News. I think you braid, but leave the outside strand on one side loose, then when you come back around, you push one strand of the new braiding through the loose one each time you braid, but try old MEN issues to be sure