DessertsBaking & Desserts

Recipe for Non Custard Boston Cream Pie

Category Desserts

Back in the late 60's My mom would shop at Woolworths, and we got treated to a dessert afterwards. I LOVED the Boston Cream pie. It is nothing like todays version, the cream was like whipped topping or something. I was just wondering if anyone out there had the NON-Custard version?

By dotty (Guest Post)

go to google.com and type in what you want, try boston cream pie first and see if the recipe you are looking for is there. the custard filling is the real thing though.

By Mary (Guest Post)

I remember something similar to what you describe. The cake was yellow and more like a light cake rather than sponge cake. The filling was cream NOT custard. And the chocolate glaze was not runny nor was it too thick. It had a sheen to it but did not form a crusty surface. It was more of a milk chocolate than anything else. I loved the flavor. I had searched for years to find its equal without success. I was raised in northeastern Connecticut. That would be the area where I experienced Boston Cream Pie. These days all I can find is the Boston Custard. The difference is huge.

I miss the the cream version. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Do you remember the taste of a Ring Ding as it was in the 60's? They used to be about the size of a saucer. The icing used to have dimples in the surface where the icing filled in the indents formed when the cream was injected into the cake. It was like getting a few chocolate chips integrated into the ciing. Once Drake's came out with a yellow cake version covered with milk chocolate. I would love to taste one of those again. I would love a recipe for Boston Cream Pie, if one exists. Good luck with your search!

Make a yellow cake mix, use butter instead of oil or make a pound cake. Icing is cocoa, powdered sugar, vanilla and add BOILING water until thick but still runny, pour on cake.