Recycling Plastic Lids

Tips for reusing plastic lids. Post your ideas.

We serve a lot of coffee at our house and I have managed to put the plastic lids to great use. You can use them as little palettes for painting, great for kids and stencil paints, then just toss in the trash. You can use the clear ones as quilt templates. You can place them under your planters to catch water spills and protect your furniture from marks. You can cut them in half and use them as scrapers for your countertops or as mini dustpans. Just be creative and I am sure you can come up with a lot more uses. I have found even the lids from Pringle cans work great on the bottoms of shaving cream,hair spray and room deodorizer and you have no rust marks that usually happen in the bathroom.

By LuAnn

Anonymous

how can you make a wreath with yarn I saw on pc

I use the plastic lids from Cool Whip etc. They are a great size to hold the pot holder coasters I make. Use the lid to round off the corners of old or stained pot holders. Then cover the round pot holders with material matching your decor and stitch back and forth across the material spacing your stitches so that it looks quilted. They make great coasters especially in summer when your glass usually sweats. The plastic lid then becomes a holder for the pot holder coaster. You will then have pretty coasters that doubly insure there will be no glass rings or water marks on your furniture. The coaster absorbs the drips and the plastic lid keeps a damp coaster from touching your furniture.

grannyz

By (Guest Post)

Plastic Lids
Just using them in toss games you can come up with a dozen ways
I have used then under chair and sofa feet.
I''ve used then as frames for small cut out pictures
Play dishes or for Mud Pie Making
Soap or kitchen scrubby dish
Paint brush holder or stop dripping paint
Thumb tack holder
Bases for an in yard baseball game
Make funny badges for kids to wear
Glue or pin all natural nature art on to lid.
and many more. Just use your immagination.

I use the smaller sizes for separators of ground beef patties when I buy in bulk at a good sale. Spritz each side with nonstick cooing spray and you can stack premade patties and they come apart easily. I stack them in a large coffee can and pop t in the freezer. Same technique if you find a good sale on chicken breasts.

cj from dallas

Tip: I use plastic lids to create card holders. Just fasten two together with a paper clasp in the middle. It is great to use in card games that require you to hold a lot of cards at once, such as Canasta.
- Dani

Use them to replace the metal lids on jelly jars, or any jar with metal lids. They come in all sizes. They don't rust.

I keep my coffee creamer in a 1/2 pint canning jar on the counter. A lid off the plastic creamer container fits it. Lots of sizes and uses.

By ELAYNE

By (Guest Post)

The lids off mayo type jars can be made into pin cushions...just take a round piece of material large enough to fill with foam, or some other kind of stuffing, I have even used hair when I cut my kids hair to fill it....them form it in a round ball about the size of the jar lid......glue it in.....

By Debby (Guest Post)

I use them to make templates for quilts and for face painting.(I am a clown)

By suzi homemaker (Guest Post)

They are great if you are patching holes in the wall and just need to touch up the paint. The kids use them for their paint pallettes and they are great props for clay and play-do projects.

By Stone2005 (Guest Post)

I use them for little job cutting boards in the kitchen.

By sweaterpups (Guest Post)

To keep my floor clean & dry, I store my toilet plunger on an upturned ice cream pail lid after use. Just remember to clean/disinfect lid regularly after plunger dries.

Large plastic lids can substitute for a frisbee. I have used clean plastic lids from yogurt under the legs of a bed to keep it from damaging the carpeting.

If having a garage sale -- write prices for large items on them and put them around your garage on the walls. Use colored markers to make them eye catching. They usually wash off of plastic but if it doesn't you can use fantastic or just pitch.

By Gloria H. (Guest Post)

I use the lids of 4 jam jars as a base for the steam pudding jar at Christmas between the base of the pot with water and the glass steam pudding bowl. Traditionally a saucer is used to prevent the pudding bowl coming in direct contact with the heat and cracking but sometimes the saucers crack. Besides, we dont always have saucers these days.