Uses for Jar Lids

Category Reusing
Don't throw away used jar lids, there are many ways you can reuse them around the house. This is a guide about uses for jar lids.

Use old peanut butter lids to set in the cabinet under containers of sticky stuff - like honey or molasses jars - to catch the little drips that always seem to drip down the sides and make a mess. It's much easier to run the lids through the dishwasher every now and then than to have to scrub the sticky mess out of your cupboards!

By Tina Hayes

A great "toy" for a toddler: Save all your plastic jar lids (from mayonnaise, peanut butter, etc.) Save different colors and sizes, the more the better. I did this for my kids and grandkids.

They can be used as: Building blocks, to identify colors, to count how many of each color there is, as play food (make a sandwich by putting a larger one between two slightly smaller ones, etc.) Just be sure that you don't use any that are small enough for child to put in their mouth and swallow.

By Knitter in Illinois

I got tired of misplacing or losing the lid or cap to a bottle or jar. I put a small bowl on the kitchen counter. In it I keep spare lids and caps from some of the things we use. I don't keep a lot but keep enough so that a misplaced or broken lid or cap can be replaced. Often a lid from a totally different item will fit the bottle or jar I need a lid for.

By Sandra from PA

If your jar is melted or broken, don't recycle that lid. I have found more uses for them than I can remember. Here are just a few.

• For dip in your veggie and deli lunch!

• Measuring out nuts.

• Your daily pills.

• Gathering beads.

• The standard Mayo lid is about 1/3 cup so for soup or rice recipes, you can't do better.

• Office supplies.

• Cookie or biscuit cutter.

• Where you toss your keys!

• Other ideas: marbles, glass nuggets, a gathering place for your laundry quarters.

• More More and So Much More! N-JOY!

Source: Just being thrifty!

Cooking Oil - To stop the drips from your cooking oil bottle messing up the cupboard shelves, try keeping the bottle on an inverted jam (jelly) jar lid ~ I find the lid from 'Nutella' spread is just the right size.