Removing Stains From Dishes

Category Dishes
Occasionally foods can stain your dishware. This guide is about This is a guide about removing stains from dishes.

My cups were getting pretty stained so I sprinkled salt into each cup, then wiped it out. It took away all the stains and made the cups shine. Best of all no scrubbing or soaking for hours in Javex. For extra zing on the bottoms and around sides of cups, add salt to the rind of a lemon and use to wipe the cups.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

A spoonful of baking soda in the dishwasher will get rid of hard water spots on glasses and dishes.

I had dishes stored and wrapped in newspaper. The newspaper print is now on the dishes. How do i get them clean? I have put them in the dishwasher twice.

Lee from LOTHIAN, MD

Answers

What are the dishes made out of? Sometimes I have used softscrub or light use of a brillo pad on both stoneware and melmac (an almost stiff plastic). If they are fine china, I'm not sure.

Sorry I don't know how to remove news print off dishes, but I take it you used the newspaper when packing to move. Am I right?

Next time you move, go to the newspaper place and ask them if they have end rolls of unprinted news paper before printed for packing and moving. They will give them to you.

Check it out for packing. It is the best paper for packing. It comes on tall rolls and I wrapped most every thing that needed wrapping in this paper the last time I moved. The greatest packing paper.

Linda from PA

I don't know for sure, but a thick paste of baking soda and water works for a lot of stains like that. It really gets out tea stains, for example. I just scrub with baking soda, a few drops of water, and finger pressure.

Have you tried wiping them with alcohol? Rubbing alcohol dissolves many inks. Then wash in dishwasher.

Try Ajax with bleach it won't scratch!

How do you remove water and soap stains from glass dishes that have been washed in the dishwasher?

Jessica from Zanesville, OH

Answers

Use a rinse aid.

I pour vinegar in the dishwasher.I also put vinegar in my liquid dish soap, when i hand wash my dishes

To remove water stains from the dishwasher use vinegar.
I put the vinegar in a large bowl that the dishes or glasses will fit in. Put in about 3" of vinegar and roll the glasses in the vinegar for a few seconds, they will sparkle.Then just rinse in cold water. I save the vinegar in a jar in case I need it again.

Vinegar is excellent as the previous posts stated. If you are still finding after the cycle completes you still have spots, you can use Bar keeper's friend. It's similiar to comet and ajax but it is far better. It polishes brass, use on porcelin, glass,plastic, stainless steel, copper etc. The possibilities are endless. you can find this product in most Grocery stores. It is in a gold can with blue writing. look for it where you would find comet.

Here's the website for further info on product:
www.barkeepersfriend.com

Jennifer CA

How do I get rid of rust stains on my dishes and mixing bowls? (I think they're some kind of hard plastic?). This rust is from our water. We filter the water, but there's still rust.

By Suan