AdviceGardening

What is Catnip?

Can anyone tell me what catnip is?

By Kathy

It's a plant if I remember right. I think I saw someplace advertising catnip plants online but it was some time ago.

I was right - check out this post. It has a picture on the side of the plant http://www.thri  7159927.tip.html

It's a plant that when fresh or dried it acts as a stimulant for felines. They put it in toys for cats.Some grow it for their kitties to enjoy as it grows fresh.

Catnip is in the mint family. Do not confuse it with 'catmint' which produces nice flowers but does not have the same effect on your cat. Catnip is very easy to grow from seed or cuttings. I suggest growing it in a hanging basket of planter that hangs on the wall because every cat in your neighborhood will dig in it if it's in the ground. I like to pinch off leaves, crush them a little to release the oils and then give them to my cats. You can cut it way back and dry it for overwinter. It's pretty hardy and should grow back depending on your climate (or stay evergreen if you are in a warm place). Have fun!