Cleaning an Antique Crystal Decanter

I have an antique crystal decanter with a narrow neck and there is some sort of stain, possibly soap scum, that I can't remove. I have tried white vinegar soaking, long bottle brushes, etc. but the stain doesn't come out.

Can anyone help?
Carmen

Best Answer

Try dropping a denture cleaning tablet in water in the decanter. It always works well for me. Just leave it for awhile, I leave it overnight. Hope this helps you.

thank you much I have tried this but it still remains can you suggest something else please I have this issue with four decanter
thank you for your help

Yvonne smith

Best Answer

Try automatic dishwasher detergent.
If that doen't work, push a dryer sheet into the neck and soak in water.

Best Answer

Try putting some rice or a good amount of salt with a little bit of water. Shake it really good. That should give you a good scrubbing action.

Best Answer

Put crushed ice and salt in the decanter and swirl around...this will act as a scrubber and take care if it all! This also works well for coffee pots with a narrow opening!
Good Luck!

Best Answer

Combinatio: I used a couple tablespoons of rice with a tablespoon of dishwasher detergent andabout a cup of water. A couple minutes of shaking and the dried port stains were gone from a fine heavy leaded decanter... thanks

Excellent advise. Thank you so much. Very dark stain 3/4 of decanter. Didn't have liquid dishwasher detergent so I cut the little packet in half and tried to stuff it down the opening. Wouldn't go, so I added warm water. Swish, swish. Deep purple stain completely gone from Waterford decanter. Sigh of relief.

Have your tried denture cleaning tablets? I use them to clean my vases.

Use Efferdent or Polident tablets in lukewarm water. Fill the decanter to 1/2" above the stained area and plop a tablet in. Let it sit overnight. Repeat again the next morning if necessary. Be sure the water is not above lukewarm so that any defects in the glass itself won't result in breakage.

Try filling the decanter with white vinegar. Let set overnight and flush with cool water. If it is mineral or hard water spots, it should be gone.

I tried the denture cleaner it didn't work. I tried detergent, water, and rice and shook it for a couple of minutes and cleaned it perfectly. Thanks a million, James

How many tablets should I use? Will just one suffice for cleaning off stains that have sat in it for possibly decades? I've tried vinegar, dish soap, and denture cleaner so far and it's not giving up yet.

Thank you count_zero! Your method (rice, dishwasher detergent, and water) worked perfectly for me.

I have tried white vinegar and rice but had no results. I just tried the method of dishwasher detergent, rice and water. Bingo! The wine stains disappeared almost immediately. I then rinsed with warm distilled water and suspended the decanter upside down to let it drain.

Rice, dishwasher tablet crushed up in two cups of warm water. Amazing! We have struggled with cleaning our stubborn port stains from our decanters for years - fantastic, thank you!

I have a wine crystal decanter with red wine stains. Tried vinegar, warm soapy water. Didn't work. Then I tried laundry stain remover & water & let it sit a few days. It came out crystal clear. Looks great! No signs of the red wine!