First Birthday Party Advice

As with any mom, when my son turned one I wanted him to have the best party ever. After I had looked at several party themes, I finally decided on the Sesame Street Beginnings theme. It had baby Elmo, baby Big Bird, and baby Cookie Monster with a big one. Not only was it cute but it was way more in my budget than any other ones I had looked at. That is the most important thing to remember when planning a party. You can end up spending a small fortune if you don't keep yourself at a limit. The theme I used was relatively inexpensive, and I was able to find several table clothes and other party supplies for little to nothing that matched just as well.

The second most important thing to remember is to make it colorful and fun. Don't just stick to one certain color, mix and match with all the colors of the theme. That's what I did with all the party supplies and it turned out really great. Everyone absolutely loved it. The last thing to remember is just to relax and don't stress out over the party. With any party, you can sometimes get wrapped up in it and make it into a not so fun thing. But just keep your head on straight and it will turn out to be a terrific party!

By Heather from Stanton, KY

My daughter (being a single mother) has never had much money. What she usually does is to just go to the dollar store & see what theme they have on their party plates, napkins etc. Sometimes it's "princesses", sometimes it's "Teddybears", or whatever. You can at least buy the party balloons, crepe paper, streamers, plates, silverware, matching tablecloth & napkins there. This will save you all kinds of money. If they have no theme you like, then just buy one or two colors of plates, forks & all the stuff I mentioned above as your color scheme. Then just buy a poster or stuffed animal with the sesame street theme (or whatever) you like. This way the child will have the poster, or animal to keep for later (not like the napkins & plates he'd have no interest in) Have a cake made at your local supermarket with the theme that matches & you're set & you did all that at a fraction of the price!

* One more idea is to buy a large book with the characters of you theme in it. Then cut out the characters from the book & glue them on to a piece of foam board or card board. Then stand them up or hang them up around the room. You can even make copies on your printer. (a copy shop won't do it because of copy infringement) This way you'll have several copies of the same character. You could even cut out paper "balloons" from construction paper ($1 store) & glue or tape your cut-outs on to these "balloons" on you wall.