BirdsPets

Can Birds Get Fleas?

Can my bird get the fleas?

By lochi from La Habra, CA

I would guess yes or they get some kind of mite. I see them scratching with their legs when they roost in my trees.

No, birds don't get fleas. I've been around many a bird, and I have never seen one with fleas. They can get mites, but I've not seen that either; and I've seen lots of birds from volunteering at avian rescue. When birds pick their feathers to the point of losing them, there is something going on in the birds life or environment. He needs to be seen by a certified avian vet to rule out anything serious, and then follow the vet's advice, as to where to go from there.

I don't know about fleas,but mites yes,if you get a nest after birds leave, nest full mites. I've found 3 nest like that. ewww, hate bugs. Cookie 17

I think they might. I remember being eaten alive after cleaning the bird houses in the garden preparing for the winter and for the next season.

I agree, birds don't get fleas. But they certainly can get mites. Chickens get these little blood sucking nasties and a lot of wild birds can carry them also. I have had only one infestation from mites, and I actually carried them to my own aviary after caring for an injured wild bird. I had the injured bird in my hospital cage in the lounge, and for three nights I sat on the couch itching and scratching.

On investigation I found tiny little black specks crawling every where (and I really mean everywhere!) all over me. But after vacuuming, spraying with pyrethrum and changing cage paper etc, I got it under control. Valuable lesson, though. Carefully check new birds coming in to your house or aviary as they can and do carry pests.