AdviceDogs

Dog Pushes Food Bowl Around Before Eating

I have a rescued miniature Schnauzer. I have had her for two years, she is the love of my life. She is so finicky, and has started pushing her food bowl all around the floor before she will eat. Has anyone else had this problem?

Gail from Novi. MI

My part Mini Schnauzer has always tried to push leaves and dirt into her bowl. It looks like she is trying to move the bowl around if there is nothing there for her to push in. I think it is an old instinct of trying to preserve the food if she is not hungry at that moment. We have since moved her food inside and she doesn't do it but if we take her camping or put her food outside she tries to push stuff on it again.

My Malamute Golden cross is 14 and 1/2 years old. She started doing this a few months ago. She isn't a great eater and never has been. However, I think she is trying to hide it for later. She tries to push her plate under the furniture.

Our Corgi does this too. He will knock all the food out of the bowl and then eat it off the floor and usually leave half of it on the floor. I think it's weird too. It's like he is looking for a treat in the bottom of the dish or something. I wonder if it has something to do with them no liking the food or getting bored with it. I don't know for sure.

My St. Bernard Persyphora pushes the bowl around when she's hungry. My Golden Retriever, Leia, takes food out of the bowl to the floor and then eats. Who knows why! ;-) A trait of character? Some weird habbit? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder? lol

My dog does that. She is asking for a different food. I don't give in to her. Sometimes she will push it around all day before she will eat. We were feeding her people food, but it did a number on her digestive system. It's been two weeks since we took her off of it. She doesn't push the bowl around as much, but she still tries to get her own way.

Thanks Everyone. I thought it was just my Brat
Today I went to the pet store and I bought a couple cans of soft pedigree lamb food and will try mixing a little with her dry food.
Maybe she is tired of just dry food (:
But she can forget it if she thinks its a can food meal from now on (: Way to expensive.
Not to mention the grooming & the teeth cleaning (:

But I love my Brat..

Sometimes they are full and, on instinct, will try to bury it and save it for later.