Have Wastebaskets Handy When Sewing

When I am doing machine sewing, I set up 2 small wastebaskets - one on each side of my chair. That way I can drop scraps, thread, etc. with either hand. Saves a lot of time and waste motion.

By DeBushe from Gilroy, CA

This is a great tip. I sew and teach sewing and have always taught my beginning sewers to either tape a small plastic bag to the side of the machine, or have a handy waste bin nearby, but never thought of having two. It is a little bit of a hassle to lean across the sewing area to get to the waste bin so having one on either side is such a no-brainer!

I'm going to try using two bins next to the cutting table, now, too. I used to pile the pieces of fabric that are big enough to quilt or mend with on one side of the cutting table, and the small stuff that can't be used to the other side. But using two bins will mean one step of tidying up is eliminated-as I cut the scraps go into the designated bin and all I have to do is stack the bin.

Thanks!